Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Steering column cover differences ?

Cyprusnoddycar

Enthusiast
Does anyone know the difference is between these R4 steering column covers ? What are the two holes for in the cover ? Both are for sale on EBAY but not sure which one is correct for my RHD Post 1983 dashboard. My cover with the two holes in has been badly damaged. Thanks

s-l1600.pngs-l1600 (1).pngs-l1600 (2).pngs-l1600 (4).png

Correct part number for the RHD cover is 77 00 708 643. It's different between LHD and RHD.
The difference on these two covers is on the lip where the steering column exits: there is another one on the instrument panel cover and a circlip ties them together. I think this is the arrangement on later cars (post-86?).

Correct part number for the RHD cover is 77 00 708 643. It's different between LHD and RHD.
The difference on these two covers is on the lip where the steering column exits: there is another one on the instrument panel cover and a circlip ties them together. I think this is the arrangement on later cars (post-86?).
Efaristo Angelos ! Thanks for the info.

Obviously I haven't got the part numbers I think it's to do with the position that the choke comes out of past the steering column as I experimented with several when I was trying to make something fit my rodeo I gave up and made my own out of aluminium

Obviously I haven't got the part numbers I think it's to do with the position that the choke comes out of past the steering column as I experimented with several when I was trying to make something fit my rodeo I gave up and made my own out of aluminium
I had to modified my cover in the end, because the front air vent lever was inaccessible ! so I made my own design using fibre glass to finish it off, and it now looks better and is stronger than the original cover. Renault liked to change things every week, and we also have the LHD and RHD problem as well !

Back