Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 vs 2CV Drag Racing - Sept 3rd

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Santa Pod (near Northampton) on 3rd September 2006.

Everyone is welcome and we'll be having a barbecue on the night of the 2nd September for anyone with a tent.

We did the same thing last year and it was a lot of fun. Santa Pod is a drag strip - so we drag raced Renault 4s. They were very evenly matched, and only a cars length separated the cars, but Robert was fastest, Lucie came second, and I was last. The rules are very complex, so it was Lucie that won in the end.

It'd be great to see more Renault 4s there this year. It's a do what you want meeting - come along and watch, or join in with the racing. And you can decide on the day.

If you plan to race you'll need to bring your driving licence. More details on http://www.slowcarclub.com/

Reply here, or contact me if you'd like to come along.

Last edited:
Members of the 2CVGB Forum have challenged us Renault 4 owners to see who will be slowest of the Slow Car Club.

We don't want the 2CV club to be slowest by default, we need to put up a fight.

Last edited:
Hi, count us in ! we are arriving back from the Tomato festival on the friday so unsure if we will be camping ?
To go with the drag racing macho theme i will definately see you and a few 2cv's in the rear view mirror on race day though .
Regards
Liam and Louise

Good stuff - we're up to at least 5 Renault 4s now, and will probably have 10 2CVs and a couple of Land Rovers. It's a pity my gordini engined car won't be finished (or perhaps even started) by then. It would have been fun to challenge Derek. Instead I'll probably bring an 850 along. It's got side pipes!

Thats works with me ! i brought a two owner 1960 Series 2a Landrover this week from a garage owning friend who has just retired aftr 52 years .May bring that along just in case Louise's R4 engine termnates breaking the 11 second barrier .Seriously i have only brought it to renovate the garden and after that it is surplus should someone fancy a tax exempt and classic car insurance runabout/towing vehicle .

Partytime!

Count us in - we're going to come in a Kangoo van and cunningly disguise it as an R4 to join the party. Clementine's parties are the stuff of legends. Will we be burning the furniture again this time? Will the farmer :mad: have to come out at night with his tractor and plough the surrounding field so the fire doesn't spread to the whole of Bedfordshire? Will our very own James Bond :cool: be there with his Aston? Will the big fellow :D be in charge of the barbie? Will the littl'un :shock: have the ambulance standing by?
See you there folks!

Update:

There's been a whole load of interest in the drag racing. We're expecting lots of 2CVs, some small Peugeots, ancient Honda, Land Rovers, vintage Austin, Volkswagen vans, and a Suzuki van. There's a good chance of a write up for Practical Classics too. Sadly the date clashes with the main microcar event of the year, so a lack of microcars and 3 wheelers.

The 2CV bunch are thinking about camping overnight at Billing Aquadrome to enjoy the jet skis. I'm planning a evening BBQ at the farm starting late afternoon. I'll private message directions to anyone who needs them.

We're going to aim to meet up at about 10:00 at Santa Pod on 3rd September.

Slow car racing

Liam4R4SPARES said:
Hi, count us in!
I will definitely see you and a few 2cv's in the rear view mirror on race day.
No, Liam, it's the Slow Car Club! The 2CVs are supposed to see YOU in their rear view mirrors!!:D Try not to bring a green or blue R4 because they are too fast for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Clementine said:
Members of the 2CVGB Forum have challenged us Renault 4 owners to see who will be slowest of the Slow Car Club.

We don't want the 2CV club to be slowest by default, we need to put up a fight.
Yes Liam, my competitiveness would also have me first over the line. But if you look at last year's results then the Crap Trumps Transit Van got first prize for being the slowest! And The Stag's MGB came third for 'being slower than expected'. It depends if you want the thrill of coming first or a mention in the prize list. By the way Clementine, what are the prizes this year?

Unless I start getting organised the prizes will be much the same as they were last year.

Someone offered to come along in a double decker bus which would have been in with a very good chance of a prize, but we don't think it will get under the gantry at the start line. Shame.

Just about to go on my hols but will be back late saturday so Clementine could i have directions please if you are still planning a BBQ the night before.
Regards Liam and Louise

I've sent you a mail (I like to keep my address off the interweb). Who else is still coming along? We ought to start organising.

Back