Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4F4 Lighting Problems

jayar

Enthusiast
Hello,

I have a 1987 Renault 4 F4 van (Vanessa, ex La Poste), it goes like a champ but has a couple of small lighting problems which I would like to fix. Firstly, the front right-hand park light does not work, even though the bulb is fine as I checked it on an independent battery. Also, the right-hand rear tail-light does not work, even though the brake light (the other filament, same bulb) works fine. I have changed bulbs and checked them on an independent battery, but that is not the problem. Lastly, the instrument backlights have failed, and I would appreciate advice as to how to either check these in situ, or if necessary to take the instrument mounting apart, how best to do this.
I have checked all fuses and they appear fine.

corrosion in the bulb holder can also be a nuisance, and poor earthing secondary to rust around the screws holding the light fitting to the body can also be a cause, certainly of your indicators shutting down when braking.

Many thanks for the replies - I shall replace all the fuses in the first instance as that is the easiest! I have had both rear-lighbt assemblies out, and checked the earthing - it seems okay, and the indicators work fine too. I shall report back when I have changed the fuses and checked the fuse holders too..once again, many thanks for the responses.

Partial Fix

Hello,

I replaced the fuses - no difference. I have cured the front right park light and rear right tail-light problems (checking with a meter, no current being supplied to either) by some simple rewiring. However, I still have the problem with the instrument panel backlighting, so if anyone can help me solve that I shall be very grateful.

Brgds

jayar

To check anything on the late instrument panel you have to take it out.
It is straightforward after you remove the steering wheel, the switches on the side of the instrument panel (push-on) and the steering column covers (screws from underneath). The instrument panel outer plastic frame is snapped on the dashboard. Push with your fingers the sides inwards while pulling it outwards. The instrument panel itself is fixed by screws.
If you take it out, simply check the illumination lamp if it has blown. There are many lamps, the illumination lamp is the one that does not light an indication on the panel (it will be obvious which one is it).
If it is OK check the copper on the printed circuit around the lamp holder. If it has worn away it's possible to repair it but it is tricky, best to find another instrument panel.
If this part is OK, check the wire from the lighting switch to the instrument panel, and also the multi plug on the panel.

Many thanks angel - I got the instrument panel out (with your help) this afternoon.
At this stage the printed circuits look okay, but the bulbs for illumination do not work. I have swapped them with bulbs from the battery/temperature slots, which do work, but so far nothing. I need to examine the printed circuits for the illumination bulbs a bit more, perhaps with some better lighting than that outside on a cloudy French afternoon - any tips you can pass on for rectification of the printed circuit strips will be appreciated.

Brgds

Before trying to repair the printed circuit trace the illumination (+) terminal on the multi-plug and check that you get 12V there when you operate the switch.

I do repairs on such printed circuits by soldering thin strips of copper sheet (sold at hobby stores). Don't try this first time on your R4' s instrument panel if you are unsure, though... :-)

Many thanks angel - all fixed now. The problem was with the 12V supply to the printed circuits, I rectified that and the printed circuits are working fine again, as are all lights on the van now - and I never needed to touch a soldering iron!

Brgds

Back