Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4F6 new chassis in Normandy

r4f6-platform

hope sombody buys that new chassis and takes it to an enginering company and has some stronger ones copied - then galvaniesed them - save an awful of trouble for restorations in the future - :smile - :smile::idea:

r4 chassis

i wonder if the company that makes 2cv platforms would be intrested in making new chassis- ime sure they could make a sliding jig for the saloons- i dont no who they are tho- we should form a co-operative and buy that chassis pronto- the more of us the cheaper it would be- i know of a man with a cat who could organise it- :idea:
Reg

New / remade chassis might not be a lot of use here though - was talking to Alain our local 2cv man the other day - he's welding some metal in the floor of our F6, and the galvanised chassis sold in the UK for 2cv's don't conform to the original spec and it can be a hell of a job getting a CT (MOT equivalent) pass here with a non standard chassis.
Just got rid of our LWB Relay van so transport would have to be arranged. :)

chassis

they must be keen testers to spot a different type of chassis-and if its up to the job how could they fail it-very strange.
how come people with r4s seem to love cats ? i have 1 full time plus 2 part time in the uk-and 1 that turns up when i go to my apt in tenerife within 2 mins of getting there- i call him swiper because he looks like a fox-childrens programe if u dont no-mmm-:rolleyes:
Reg

i know of a man with a cat who could organise it- :idea:
Reg

Not sure if you mean me - I'm more of a cat with a man.

We had a look at it a while back. 2CV chassis are really simple. Couple of C sections and a couple of bits of plate for the floor get somewhere close to a 2CV chassis.

If you have a good look at the R4 chassis they are a fair bit more complex. Could be done cheap and nasty, but anything sensible really needs the original tooling and a 500 tonne press.

Couple of us are investigating chassis from Columbia. No time soon is my guess as it sounds complicated to get them exported. But it would be a lot easier.

Anyone with a rusty F6 snap that chassis up - much less hassle than repairs.

As far as the CT test here is concerned everything has to be as it was originally produced, even different size wheels will mean it will fail.
The french tend to enforce the rules quite firmly when it comes to vehicles, unlike in the UK where you can get away with almost anything as long as it will pass an MOT. I remember going to Loudeac and someone turned up from the UK with a much modified R4 (possibly Mr. Renospeed), which had a five speed box, bigger engine and possibly even a turbo. Standing around the car were several french enthusiasts, the concensus was 'that would not be possible here' even if they would have liked to do it.
The particular type of 2cv chassis had no bottom plate from memory - making it easier to rustproof on a regular basis.

just thinking out loud malcolm- yes i meant you-i personaly dont want one-but would invest to keep r4s on the road- couldnt go through another restoration of anykind- been there etc-i would have another cat tho.
Reg

Back