Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Alpine Engine to 4 speed gearbox

scottc

Hi All,

I'm Scott and I am in the US...

I am throwing this question out to anyone.

I am in the process of installing an Alpine in a R5 Gtl with a regular 4 speed..

Can it be done? Main concern will they match up?

Thanks very much for your input

It should fit OK - the Alpine used the same block as the GTL. I put an Alpine engine in my Renault 4 and used a GTL 5 speed box. Only mods were to change some bits to Renault 4 bits so it would fit in a Renault 4.

I put a 5 Alpine (Gordini) engine in my Renault 4 with the 1108cc box and completed 10,000 trouble free miles before rot ate the body. It was about as quick as a Toyota Celica Turbo my friend has at the time.
I then fitted the engine and box to a Renault 4 van and then drove all over Europe with no issues. Good ratios.

Don't forget you cant use the 850cc box as you will have 4 reverse gears and one forward (good for hard shoulder motorway pursuits maybe).

Action Photos including me standing in front of Renault 4 Van, Renault 4 van getting towed off motorway in rain by mad German recovery driver at 80 mph on 6 ft rope and Renault 4 being fixed at German Renault dealership (the mechanics loved it). The points had failed. Van parked in street in Prague Circa 1991.

• Renault 4 Van.jpg
    Renault 4 Van.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Renault 4 van Prague driving.jpg
    Renault 4 van Prague driving.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Renault 4 Van Broken Down.jpg
    Renault 4 Van Broken Down.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 152
  • ren 4 Van Prague.jpg
    ren 4 Van Prague.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 150