Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R688-46 timing mark

Tool_man

Enthusiast
Can’t find timing marks on either the crankshaft pulley nor the flywheel. Can somebody please enlighten me as to what I’m looking for? I need to set the timing.

Are these any help?
IMG_4496.jpegI noticed that when number one and number four are top dead center that the notches in the pulley align with this roll pin. Seems like really a coincidence but may be. Also, is number one on the flywheel end or the crankshaft pulley end?

I have the manual in the link. It shows a pointer about 90° counterclockwise from the roll pin. There is something in that position that might be a pointer, but it doesn’t align with top dead center.

Remember that the engine makes two complete turns for each power stroke, so the timing marks line up twice during each complete cycle, so you need to confirm you have cylinder number ONE at T.D.C., not cylinder four. The easiest way is to remove the top of the distributor and check to which terminal the rotor arm is pointing. If it's pointing to the H.T. lead connecting to No ONE plug, you're right on target!

View attachment 33043I noticed that when number one and number four are top dead center that the notches in the pulley align with this roll pin. Seems like really a coincidence but may be. Also, is number one on the flywheel end or the crankshaft pulley end?

I have the manual in the link. It shows a pointer about 90° counterclockwise from the roll pin. There is something in that position that might be a pointer, but it doesn’t align with top dead center.

On page 11 the timing marks are explained

Remember that the engine makes two complete turns for each power stroke, so the timing marks line up twice during each complete cycle, so you need to confirm you have cylinder number ONE at T.D.C., not cylinder four. The easiest way is to remove the top of the distributor and check to which terminal the rotor arm is pointing. If it's pointing to the H.T. lead connecting to No ONE plug, you're right on target!
So which plug is the #1? is it next to the flywheel or next to the crankshaft pulley? Note that we’ve had the distributor loose and trying to make this run so we can’t depend on that for precise alignment.

Both #1 and #4 are at TDC at the same time. When at TDC the notches on the pulley are about 1/4 turn past the pointer. It appears that it's jumped time about 90 deg retarded which makes sense. We're taking it down to the timing chain but we're stuck trying to figure out how the governor comes off. The housing will separate about 1/8" as well as rotate. What's trick? We could use a service manual if anyone knows where I could snag one.

Hi Tool man, the flywheel is at the front of the engine and so is cylinder Number 1
The firing order is 1342 for when you put your distributer back in and connect the leads
Go to the search box in the top right of this page and search for "How to set timing on a GTL" It might help. Its a video

Back