Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Radiator and fan

R4Integrity

I've just pushed this out of the barn to get it running again and noticed the disintegration on the radiator. Anyone know if this is a big problem and will need replacing? Also the radiator fan was disconnected for a reason I can't recall and I don't know how to connect these wires to make it run again. Any ideas anyone? Thanks R4 familyPXL_20230930_151102691.jpgPXL_20230930_150658978.jpgPXL_20230930_150734991.jpg

Hi

The radiator will only need replacing if it is leaking or has a blockage. The cable which you have in your hand could well be from the radiator switch which is located at the bottom of the radiator just above the bottom radiator hose. There should be two cables connected to it. You might find the cable you have in your hand might come from there. If the radiator switch is disconnected the radiator fan will not come on and the engine will overheat.

Thanks so much. That gives me some hope. The two wires definitely come from the radiator fan as they were disconnected by a supposed expert when it last ran. He said he had to disconnect them for some reason I can't recall and made a temporary solution to rewire them by hand inside the cab I think to these two connections in the pic here. Would that make sense? Any idea how I can identify positive and negative on the radiator wires?
PXL_20230930_150756063.jpg

Hi

If the car was overheating due a faulty radiator switch, it would make sense to bypass the radiator switch and connect the fan directly using the two wires which connect to the radiator switch but only as a temporary measure to get you home as ultimately you would burn out the fan motor if connected directly long term. I really do not understand why cables are being bypassed within the car. If your car was overheating due to a faulty radiator switch, you need to change the radiator switch. It is an easy job. Change when the engine is cold, top up the cooling system and then bleed the cooling system to eliminate air locks.

As mentioned there should be two cables going to the radiator switch but the fan may have been disconnected at the block connector. It might be worthwhile posting a pic of the radiator switch and the radiator fan wiring so that we can see if the wiring has been doctored and then advise as to how to put it back to its original configuration. Then it would be a case of re-diagnosing the original fault which convinced the expert of bypassing components in the first instance.

The last photo, looks like picking up an earth from the antenna, high class auto electrician there....

Familiarize yourself first with the electrical schematics and basic electrics.
Schematics can be found on this forum or here https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/schemas-electriques-des-renault-4

Basicly the radiator fan and radiator fan switch connections are very basic and simple, the radio antenna has really nothing to do with it.

Look at attached picture and it must come clear. Left side the electrical schematic and right side a bit simplified.

Radiator fan switch.jpg

Back