Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear Brake Drum Removal

NickHay

Enthusiast
I'm trying to remove one of the drums on the rear but I cannot get it off. I've removed the drive shaft centre cap but is there anything else I should be doing? I've had a word with it with a hammer but still not budging, and I can't get a puller in between the drum and back plate so don't know what else to do at this stage.. I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious? Underneath all that grease is there another component I need to remove??
Thanks in advance

Hi Nick

You mention removing the grease cap, wipe off the grease on the shaft and you will find a split pin, castellated cap, locking nut, D washer and finally the outer bearing in this order. You need to remove all of these components to remove the drum. Once the lock nut is unlocked the rest should come out freely. If the drum still does not budge after the removal of the above. Release the brake shoe adjusters from the rear. The process for this differs depending which model/type of brake set up you have. 845cc with square brake spanner, 1108cc with slim screwdriver via small access window in rear of backplate. If still not budging and you have an 1108cc with handbrake on the rear, release the handbrake adjustment. If the car has been standing for a very long time, it could be that the drum is seized on too.

Last edited:
Hi, that's great, thank you very much. I'll wipe all the grease off and do as you say and hopefully it'll release. I've already released the brakes as best I can, I too have the square adjuster, and the hand brake is front not rear. Fingers crossed I'll follow the process and it'll come off... Its been standing for a while though so we'll see... thanks again

is it a 4 wheel drive as youve mentioned takiing the cover off the rear driveshaft

Hi Nick

You mention removing the grease cap, wipe off the grease on the shaft and you will find a split pin, castellated cap, locking nut, D washer and finally the outer bearing in this order. You need to remove all of these components to remove the drum. Once the lock nut is unlocked the rest should come out freely. If the drum still does not budge after the removal of the above. Release the brake shoe adjusters from the rear. The process for this differs depending which model/type of brake set up you have. 845cc with square brake spanner, 1108cc with slim screwdriver via small access window in rear of backplate. If still not budging and you have an 1108cc with handbrake on the rear, release the handbrake adjustment. If the car has been standing for a very long time, it could be that the drum is seized on too.
Thank you, did as you suggested and it came right off easy as...

Back