Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear fog light wiring

KeithS

Enthusiast
Ref: my post in the general section about importing my R4 Savane, I need to install a rear fog light for the MOT. I have a switch ready to install and understand the wiring is already in place. Or is it? If it is, does anyone know where it might be found (presumably somewhere at the rear of the car)? Behind a panel? Under the car?
Any help gratefully received!

On my right hand drive car the loom runs from the front right (driver side) off the fuse board up over the doors and down alongside the boot lid then into the top of the rear wing via a grommet. I think the Haynes manual will show complete wiring and yes I suspect a wire may be redundant for that purpose

Hi Keith
Maybe you've already seen this, but it might be useful:

https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/installation-d-un-feu-de-brouillard-arriere
Thank you. I'd forgotten about that page! I got a copy of the 'Revue Technique' for my car (which arrived today!) and the wiring diagram showed a violet wire to the fog light. I looked under the rear bumper and, lo and behold, on the left side is a spare violet wire connected to nothing. Just need to run it across to the right side. :)

hi... ground issues.. where to mount grounding? can someone post a picture, how it is from the factory?

hi... ground issues.. where to mount grounding? can someone post a picture, how it is from the factory?
Depending on the year of production.

Option 1
To mount the light under the tailgate the body has blind rivet nuts factory installed, if not just install a blind river nut. This will provide the ground.
20230514_073314[1].jpg

Option 2
To mount the light on the tailgate itself, the tailgate will provide the ground.

tnx @JdeW , I know where the bracket is mounted..I'm interested in what the factory version looks like (grounding to r4 frame, button connector., etc etc )

IMG_2429.JPG IMG_2430.JPG

The rear fog light appeared as standard on the Renault 4 Clan and Savane from 1989, on early models is was only an option which nobody took.

The real rearfoglight switch will be hard to find for the third model dashboard but they are available.

Last edited:
I met on the street.. and take a shot.
Missing ground cable??
as standard on the Renault 4 Clan and Savane from 1989
my newer r4 is 1989 year..but the previous owner removed it.

IMG_2044.JPG

Back