Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

rear seat belts

C5CRT

I just imported LDH drive R4 TL from Spain, well its in the garage, and posted forms to HMRC, we see what sort of TAX I have to pay.

Well need to prep for UK MOT and while it just had a Spanish MOT in April, I see no rear seat belts, and told could have to have rear fog lamp ?

My cars a Nov 1987 registered 1108cc model, and been in a dry area of central Spain.
Its rust free and while 147km on the clock its look excellent under the bonnet.

any one whom has any tips …. advice re whats needed for MOT and where you can recommend to get parts would be very happy to have this info

Regards Chris

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum. I imported a LHD from France a number of years ago. There should not been any tax to pay (there was none to pay when I brought mine over). Just the admin fee for the registration. In terms of getting it through the MOT: I needed to convert the headlights to RHD ( see instructions in technical section on this website). I needed to change the speedo to show MPH ( hard to find a RHD speedo these days, could add MPH stick-on numbers in correct locations on existing speedo), I needed to fit a rear fog light, mine had a side emitting exhaust pipe which I had to change to a rear emitting exhaust pipe. Mine is a van not sure about rear seatbelts. I could help out with some of the parts. If interested contact me at: christianebeyer@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Chris, yes welcome to the forum. Nice to see that there is another one joined the ranks of westcountry 4s.
You will need to fit a rear fog light, but a MPH speedo is a matter of choice, and converting the headlights to RHD is a simple procedure. You don't have to have rear seat belts for legal reasons but if you wish to fit them check out Securon, their website shows static and inertia rear belts to suit the 4.
Good luck with your new baby, looking forward to hearing more about it.
Regards Brian.

Rear seat belts legal requirement on cars built after 1986 so depending on the MOT tester it may or may not get picked up if they are missing my Renault 25 didn't have front indicator repeaters and as it is also new enough to legally need them it should have failed for having the missing

I stand corrected Paul, I didn't realise that the cut-off year was 86 :doh:

So strictly speaking front repeaters needed on 86 onwards imported I r4

Back