Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear shock absorbers

MartinA

Enthusiast
Hi I am about to fir new rear shock absorbers and I need to know the order the bushes and washers are fitted. Each one has come with three metal cupped washers.
Many thanks
Martin

Hi Martin
These might be useful:View attachment 27944

Dépose et repose des amortisseurs arrière (la4ldesylvie.fr)

Interestingly - and something I've only just noticed - the same diagrams are labelled the other way round in the Haynes manual...
The Autobooks manual for the R6 and la4ldesylvie have the same labelling as the Renault manual in the photo.
That's interesting. I used the Haynes manual as a reference for mine.

The difference must only be very small. Rough road setting for robustness, normal road for comfort. The R4 isn't all that refined anyway and I've not noticed any difference being on the rough road setting. If it's better for durability I will continue to fit dampers that way.

I don't think it will make such a difference, too. Many replacement dampers come with four cup washers anyway.

Hello! I hope you dont mind me hopping onto the end of this thread? I've read Malcolm's tech tips on choosing the best dampers, but I'm still in the dark. Google has thrown up Delphi de Carbon dampers on Land Rover 4x4 sites; surely they cant be the same ones?!!

My Renault is a 4GTL 1985

If you would be kind enough to look at these links to see if any of these options would get a thumbs up from Frederick??
I'm also trying to buy in the UK if possible (;)) to avoid any customs charges..!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/renault/4/4-112/1971-1-1-1128-s128

Many Thanks!

The autodoc site shows the right Renault OEM number.
Go for the gas pressure shocks.

ooooh, what is the OEM number? Does that stand for Original E…Manufacture.?
I have many many questions!
Is ‘Monroe’ the same ‘Munroe’ as Malcolm mentions in the tech help section?
Is autodoc in the UK?

Thank-yoooou!

Back