Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear wheel problem

John Doe

Enthusiast
I've been to a local workshop trying to adjust wheel alignment. Front wheels are adjusted but the rear right wheel is looking bad. Looking from the top of the car (top view), the wheel front is out by 11 millimeters. Looking from the back (back view) the wheel is also out as you can see on the picture.

r4-1.png

What could be the problem? Is there a way to fix this? Tnx.

On cars built after about 1972 there is adjustment in the rear tracking.

Loosen all of the 3 bolts on the outer suspension mounting. Adjust the tracking by getting hold of the rear tyre and forcing it to the correct alignment. Then tighten up the bolts again.

The outer mounting swings on the top screw - both the bottom holes are slotted to allow this. But it takes a lot of force on the wheel to move the alignment. A good kick wil do it, and I once tied a long piece of wood to the rear wheel to get the maximum adjustment.

I was trying to tell that to the mechanic but he wouldn't listen. I have 4 brand new winter tires and it would be a shame to ruin them.

Ok, I suppose that would fix the toe out but what about negative camber?

You'll get negative camber if you have toe out on one of the wheels. If the problem is at the front the tracking adjustment should be the first thing to get right. Toe-in (like the rears) would result in positive camber.

A the moment right rear wheel has negative camber and toe out. Tracking of the front wheels was adjusted few hours ago, front right wheel had a negative camber but it was adjusted by washers.

I understand now :D Both of the pictures are of the rear suspension but from different views. I didn't read properly.

Your rear wheels have toe-out so correcting the tracking of the rear wheel should also correct the camber.

Thanks for the information on this thread.

I have considerable toe in on my rear wheels, now I know how I can tackle trying to correct it.

Presumably positive camber is when the top of the wheel is leaning out....?

I have brand new - like just a few hundred miles - tyres on the car all round and the rears are beginning to feather across the treads quite significantly so I will trying the rear wheel tracking shortly!

ChrisH

Back