Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

rear wng repair or replace?

MATTT

Enthusiast
im trying to get the body sorted ready for the respray

the rear arch has a small section of damage from being scraped and has a small split and some filler in it

ive ground ou the filler and its a bit of a complex shape to repair and fill to get the right shapeas its right over the arch itself

i was toying with replacing the panel,but otherwise its rust free and the seam is all good and its the original one i think

anyone know how well the replacements fit and how much work to reseal it around the seam?
not sure what to do with it repair or replace?

thanks
matt

Bit slow on the answer, but it's a depends thing anyway. No right answer.

The aftermarket wings fit OK. I've found I needed to file out the holes at the front and back, but I've also needed to fettle original Renault wings, so I'd go aftermarket and save £100.

If the wing has been dented the sealant at the top often splits. Personally, if there's no rust I'd try to weld up the split, push out and fill the dents and keep the original wing.

Though if you decide to replace good sealing is critical for running these cars in the UK. There's some info on sealing on http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/seam-sealing.htm I've used brushable seam sealer where the original sealing has split on my new R4.

ta

ive read your seam sealing post already,puts my resto to shame its so neat and tidy under there!

ive decided to repair,as the seam seal is ok and not split.
Its a old repair that i think might have have another scrape over the same place it was repaired b4
i was wondering about the fit of a aftermarket panel main reason for the post

managed to repair a couple of small dents today,not had time to touch anything on there for a month so feel a bit better as it bugs me just sitting there

Only consolation is that it was sitting untouched for just over 10yrs so i guess a few more months wont hurt ! :)

thanks for the reply

cheers
matt

Back