Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Recorded KMs

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
Hi guys , I have been down this road before but thought I would give it another shot . My car is a 1972 Renault 4-s that was built in Spain . The speedometer has 30946 KMs on it but the car document has 19079 KMs on it . The car was stood for over a year with the previous owner because he didn't get round to getting it on the road and I bought it about a year ago and with covid and one thing and another I haven't tried taking it for an ITV (MOT) yet . My car is called (Betty) .
The ITV situation here is dreadful and if your lucky it takes a couple of months to get an appointment plus there are no ITV stations near by and because Betty hasn't had an ITV since 2017 she has to be taken on a trailer for the test so I want to make sure all is in order when she goes for the test which will not be till early next year . I can do the simple maths with the two figures but what is your opinion please .
Regards Bettys speedo december 2020.jpgBettys speedo december 2020.jpgBettys circulation doc december 2020.jpgBettys speedo december 2020.jpg

I'm not sure what your question is? It had done 19079km by 2016, and now it's (saying) it's done 30946. I can't see why that would be a problem for the ITV.

If the problem is that you know it can't have done that many kms in that time, then perhaps the speedometer was replaced at some point?

I'm not sure what your question is? It had done 19079km by 2016, and now it's (saying) it's done 30946. I can't see why that would be a problem for the ITV.

If the problem is that you know it can't have done that many kms in that time, then perhaps the speedometer was replaced at some point?
I was simply wondering if for the age of the car it had only done 19079 KMs till 2017 and only 11,867 KMs since then does this sound possible ?

On such old and practical cars I believe the real mileage covered is quite hard to know, especially with 5 digits that every 100000 km come back to zero.
12000 kms from 2017 to today are reasonable, while 20000 in 45 are quite strange, it could be 120, 220 or even more thousand kms, who knows?
I'd say the mileage is quite important on new or expensive classic cars, but on these the key is how it covered all the kms and the years till today.

Thanks for explaining. Yes, it's hard to tell, so unless you have records of previous tests, then you may not ever know for certain. What is the condition of the car in generally? Are the seats, pedals, etc. worn?

31,000 kms is equivalent to about 19,000miles. If the milage is genuine and the car has lived in a good climate area I would be looking to see what has been changed, when you are preparing it for mot does the dirt on suspension arch area tally with indicated milage, suspension should still have paint blobs from assembly checks etc (see photo, although younger this had covered 80 odd thou km around Toledo area all I have done is wipe it all down with kitchen cleaner)
8C1923FA-CEC8-4F27-AB34-EC0182BF5DC1.jpeg
Then you have things that can’t be changed unless painted, the drivers interior door handle, is the painted area surrounding it thinning., door latches and striker plates worn, worn paint around door shuts,sills from heavy feet/usage ,locks etc.things you would not expect for a car that has covered under 20,000miles since new, speedo drive front of gearbox, does the dirt correspond with rest of car, or has it been played with, ideal place to put a drill on the cable to wind speedo back, your looking for stuff that has not been worked on changed or cleaned since new that corresponds with the indicated milage when you look at it or work on, problem is even if your sure it is genuine without paperwork there will always be questions that will remain unanswered, also if it has been heavily worked on why for this milage?

Back