Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Removal of starter !

johnjolly

Enthusiast
1992 R4 Savanne.
Haynes advises that starter removal is simple with the engine out, but that's a bit extreme. My starter has been temperamental for 12 months or so.
Today I bit the bullet and attempted a transplant. I proceeded as follows, disconnected battery, removed two cables from starter, removed engine support bracket, moved clutch cable bracket, three bolts holding starter motor. Thought quite a lot, twisted, scratched knuckles, swore a little and finally loosened two bolts on steering a column and gracefully( and joyously) extracted starter forwards and upwards and out onto my bench. Just need to find the exact replacement for my motor and hope it goes back in again. JJ.

The joys of scratched knuckles!!!!!!!
All in a good cause though.

It gets worse, and better, after searching everywhere for the correct replacement starter, I decided to have a fiddle with the old one. On the bench, wired to a battery it worked 100 % every time. Both the motor and the solenoid, so back it went into the car. With everything finger tight, the car started several times. Completed the operation, feeling pretty smug having saved money but puzzled about circumstances.
It wouldn't bloody turn over, not a squeak. Total depression and lunch to think things over.
Out again, still nothing.....until I discovered the excite wire, think that's the correct name, down next to the bulkhead, poor connection!

Feeling pretty stupid now, and yes for those smarties out there I did test the wire for live before I commenced operations. You live and learn. JJ

Ah rule of thumb with a starter motor on a left hand drive car is to always always always replace the starter motor with a new one once you've managed to extract it!

Bloody hard work to get them out isn't it?

No I didn't strip it down because it worked perfectly on my bench. I did clean the external contacts and since it was reinstalled it has worked perfectly every time,so far.

It gets worse, and better, after searching everywhere for the correct replacement starter, I decided to have a fiddle with the old one. On the bench, wired to a battery it worked 100 % every time. Both the motor and the solenoid, so back it went into the car. With everything finger tight, the car started several times. Completed the operation, feeling pretty smug having saved money but puzzled about circumstances.
It wouldn't bloody turn over, not a squeak. Total depression and lunch to think things over.
Out again, still nothing.....until I discovered the excite wire, think that's the correct name, down next to the bulkhead, poor connection!

Feeling pretty stupid now, and yes for those smarties out there I did test the wire for live before I commenced operations. You live and learn. JJ
Hi JohnJolly. Apologies for being a tad late to the party.

I'm having an intermittent issue like yours. Can you recall which wire the "Excite" wire is please?

Back