Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Remover front caliper

Re the CV boot, we cleaned the edges on ours and glued it, and it worked. A lot cheaper.

Sometimes it's not the caliper piston seizing but a brake hose disintegrating and rubber particles inside acting as an one way valve, therefore preventing the fluid from returning bacc to master cylinder. Check this by blowing through the brake hose in both directions.

Hi Nick

OK, with this type, you need to remove the little circular retaining clips which are clearly visible in your images, grab hold of them with a pair of pliers and pull them out. The clips are attached to wedges. Tap these wedges out with a flat ended screwdriver and hammer. They only come out in one direction as there is a lip at one end, check for the lip first and then tap the wedges in the opposite direction to the lip, once both top and bottom wedges are out, the caliper should slide off.

hi JC

You didnt say if this caliper is girling or bendix?

I am going to have to order a new rubber boot for the piston you see

Thanks for your help, I got the caliper off, getting it back on was a bit of a **** that upper wedge!

But I did it

Sometimes it's not the caliper piston seizing but a brake hose disintegrating and rubber particles inside acting as an one way valve, therefore preventing the fluid from returning bacc to master cylinder. Check this by blowing through the brake hose in both directions.

I know what you mean , but from the look of the cylinder it was the corrosion. Both pipes are only 14 months old.

Back