Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Early Driveshaft Repair Possible?

Billancourt

Enthusiast
Hi All

I was wondering if it is possible to change the inner driveshaft gaiter on an early driveshaft. The Haynes manual suggests it is possible to repair but advises that it is a job for a Renault dealership (special tool required?) I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tackled this job themselves. Any advise would be gratefully received. Please see image of type of driveshaft below.

• PICT6834.JPG
    PICT6834.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 0
I have the special tool recommended bij Renault. It is a conelike tool that the gaiter slides over. Regular carworkshops have a gaiterspreader. It's either pneumatic or electric. Makes it even easier to replace the gaiter.

With the thicker gum of the original gaiters is difficult using the cone, you need a really long one and plenty of strength... I think the original and safe method is to dismantle the final part, put the gaiter in the shaft and mount it back together again. Sorry that I can't explain it better, but I lack the technic lexic.

By a strange coincidence I found one of these inner gaiters yesterday brand new nearly threw it in the bin welcome to it for the cost of postage

Hi Mr Reno

Thank you for your kind offer but I have already ordered one from the continent.

Best Wishes

Hi

Thank you for your feedback so far on the above driveshaft. I was wondering if anyone has a workshop manual image of the inner driveshaft joint above minus the rubber gaiter showing a breakdown of the internal components set up. It is the 4 ball Bendix type of driveshaft. I would be grateful of any info.

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Hi Andy

Thank you very much for the info, this is really useful. It's a 1969 model. The gaiter was completely split all the way round and when I disconnected the roll pin holding the driveshaft at the gearbox end the whole UJ came adrift with x4 ball bearings popping out. I thought there might be a component missing which should hold the the yokes together. I assumed at some point it might have dropped out of the large split in the bellow. Now that I can see the set up, nothing is actually missing. I am amazed that the two yokes balance on x4 ball bearings and it is in fact the gaiter which holds everything in place, it seems like a bit of a precarious set up for a driveshaft joint.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thanks to Andy's assistance with the instructions, I am 90% there with fitting the new inner gaiter, I am wondering about the final instruction where you are to use the 'D' clamp tool T.AV.65, is this tool absolutely necessary for this stage?

'Fit tool T.Av.65 on the coupling, the half saddle of the tool resting well up against the bottom yoke face, the other end enters into the roll pin hole in the upper yoke. When in this position tighten the tool. Pour the oil into the bellows. In order to do this, lift the lip of the bellows sufficiently to allow air to escape. Fit and tighten the upper clip'.

It's purpose seems to be to hold all the components together whilst filling the bellows with the new lubricant, fitting the upper clip and then removing it. Is this tool absolutely necessary in the process? I could fabricate one I suppose.

The very final instruction using tool T.AV.65 is puzzling me somewhat:

'Remove tool T.Av.65 and fit the tool supplied with new driveshafts in order to prevent the Weiss coupling becoming disconnected.'

Any pearls of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Last edited:
new driveshafts were supplied with a wire clip to stop them from coming apart
handled carefully there is no risk
ps ive still got several of these old type shafts new old stock here conplete with clips

Back