Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 engine in Renault 5

Scortexx

Hello people! I'm big fan of Renault 4 and I do have one sitting in garage but it is rusty and cannot be driven any more but the engine is still pretty good, only 115 000 km on the clock so my question is would the engine from my R4 GTL 1108 ccm 1987' fit in my R5 1108 ccm PH1 (I think it is called like that or MK1) 1985' gearbox? Or maybe i could change valves etc because R5 engine is bad, a lot of smoke coming out and I don't want to give money for an other used engine if I have one good sitting near. Please people give me ideas! A if you need more information about engine, gearbox just say. Thanks!

We use R5 engines in R4s, so the other way around is OK. If the R5 is an automatic you will need to change the sleeve in the end of the crank. Otherwise the R4 engine will fit the R5 gearbox.

Use the carburettor and manifolds from the R5, and you might need to use the R5 engine mountings. Don't throw the R5 engine away until the new engine is fitted and working.

I've thrown away the R5 carburettor, it was "dead" :D Now I have one from Zastava (carburettor) don't know if you heard of it but I'm not satisfied with it. I know that the R4 engine is slower but because I own one from which I want to transfer the engine I also know the performance of R4 and I was very satisfied, good fuel consumption and I was fine with it. Thanks a lot! I will get down to business soon!

Problem, it isn't an MK1 but a MK2 Renault 5. My bad! I thought that there is R5 from, for example, 85' to 89 and from 90' to 94' and that the first one is MK1 and second one Mk2. But no, I now know that there is an older version of R5 called MK1 and mine MK2. So no, the engine from R4 cannot fit in R5 gearbox.

Back