Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 GTL - Portugal

Nylx

Enthusiast
Hello all. When I saw this forum about the Renault 4 I decided to register.

I'm from Portugal and I have a whyte Renault 4 GTL with 93 000 km. I like it very much and its a pleasure to drive it.

I would like to ask you something. My Renault 4 GTL has the grey bumpers but a black front grid. Well, since I bought the car, I have never seen another 4 GTL with black grid. Not even on brochures. They are all grey. I would like my Renault 4 to look like the day when it left the stand. What should I do? Replace this one? Is it possible that my Renault 4 has always looked like this?

Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, I believe that the black grills were used on the vans, and the grey ones on the cars. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

To the best of my knowledge, the grey grills are still available from Renault. Find a friendly parts man in your local agency and get him to check.

Steve

Hi Nylx

My old TL had a black grille, and I've seen a lot of photos of Renault 4s from Portugal with a black grille including the babesmobile.

It seems maybe the models with chrome bumpers tend to have black grilles and the ones with grey bumpers have the grey grille. I don't really know so I'm also open to corrections.

The best thing about buying a new grille from Renault is that they only sell them with the new style Renault badge. I think they cost about 60 euros. I've got one on my car and it's very cool.
:D

Thank you for your help.

I'm convinced that the previous owner broke the original grid and because the black was less expensive than the grey one, he replaced it for a black one. I will try to get a grey one at Renault.

The gallery is a great idea. I will try to get some pictures of my Renault 4.

Black Grille

Mine has a black grille.. i read somewhere that renault made an effort to give the R4 a more modern look.. so the late models where fitted with the black grille and chrome bumbers (spain and portugal at least) and a black plastic line (i dont know the exact word) along the side.

Your's is probably a mid 80's model... the grilles on those are grey and you have that big plastic thing along the side. you can always try your local scrapyard for a replacement. I got a pair of complete tail lights for 5 € a piece and they were as good as new.

The previous owner probably replaced the grille for the first he could find and you have a late model GTL grille.. 1988 onward..

Bruno

That´s right tasheido. Some 4 GTL's of the 80´s had chrome bumpers and black grille. And no plastic on the doors.
Mine is a 1991 Renault 4 GTL and has grey bumpers and grey plastic on the doors. I am trying to find the grey grille. I went to Renault today and they told me that the only grilles available are black. I am going to another Renault garage next week to confirm that. If I dont find a grey one, I'll paint the old one.

I found a picture of my Renault 4. :D The same day I bought it, I took this picture. As you can see the bumpers had been painted but I already fixed that.
jb.jpg

Wow, your Renault 4 looks really nice. Has it been re-painted or is that the original finish? I think the black grille looks good on the car. It contrasts well with the white. Maybe that was why it was fitted.

If it was my car I'd leave it - makes the car more distinctive. Mind you, I painted the grille of Florence my Renault 4 TL white, and painted the Renault badge pink. I'm not too concerned with originality.

psychedelic-renaults.jpg

PS: Did you get permission from Richard (Renault 4 Ireland) to link to the image of the chrome bumper car? Webmasters can get upset about hot linking. Check the gallery to see what I do to people hotlinking to this site.

:D

Ups... Picture removed. I forgot about the hot linking.

It has been repainted. As for the grille, I would like to keep my Renault 4 original. That's why I'm considering replacing it. Despite my "quest" for originality :D I enjoy other people´s transformations. Your Florence is so cool... :wink: :cool:

Nylx said:
Hello all. When I saw this forum about the Renault 4 I decided to register.

I'm from Portugal and I have a whyte Renault 4 GTL with 93 000 km. I like it very much and its a pleasure to drive it.

I would like to ask you something. My Renault 4 GTL has the grey bumpers but a black front grid. Well, since I bought the car, I have never seen another 4 GTL with black grid. Not even on brochures. They are all grey. I would like my Renault 4 to look like the day when it left the stand. What should I do? Replace this one? Is it possible that my Renault 4 has always looked like this?

==================================

Hi

Black front Grids were used up until about 1980 in the UK, after which they changed to grey and matched the bumpers, which had peviously been chrome. A number of special edition models were also produced after 1980, which retained the black grids, so perhaps your car is one of these. I have a renault 4 with a black grid and grey bumbers, it was brought in Ireland and was a "Legend" version produced in 1985.

I hope the above information is useful to you.

Regards

Chris

Of course it was useful Seamus.

There are so many editions / versions of the Renault 4... That's why I still havent decided what to do. Im gathering information. Theres a chance that I can speak with the guys who worked at Renault when it was sold. Lets see what happens.

Hi, you should try to see the mail adress: melunretropassion in france, near paris, you probably could buy a grey grid!

Bonjour, and welcome BBruno, another person from around the Charente-Maritime Vendee region of France,

Back