Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 not starting

Alfonso

Enthusiast
After having cleaned carburetor, fuel pump and fuel tank, I tried starting the car but it won't. I checked and no fuel is getting to the carburetor, so it should be something related to the fuel pump. Due to me being rather irresponsible and forgetful, I couldn't remember well the set up of the three pipes connected to the fuel pump. By manually activating the fuel pump I figured out which was the fuel exit hole (pipe to carburetor, marked in red). The other two I tried both ways and this way (I attach picture) seems to have left some residue of fuel (slightly wet, but not much) in the black tube after trying again to start it. Both tubes seem to go to the fuel tank and I don't really know the difference. Does anyone have an idea what could I have done wrong, since before I took the carb, fuel pump and tank apart the car was working fine-ish?
Many thanks in advance!

Inkedphoto_2022-01-20_19-01-15_LI.jpg

Are you quite sure there's fuel in the tank? Given that the pump has been removed it's possible the fuel may have evaporated to the point that the pumps can't pull it through. AS I understand it the pump sucks fuel from the tank, delivers some to the carburettor and returns the remaining fuel to the tank but I might be wrong. If my thoughts are correct the pipe from the tank to the pump will connect to the bottom of the pump and the return to the top of the pump, so they HAVE to be correctly fitted, or no fuel will make it to the carburettor. I would look at the pipes and their positions and confirm they're in the correct places.

Hi Alfonso

As the car was starting ok before you started working on it. The first thing I would double check is that you have fitted the hoses the correct way round. The original pumps have directional arrows stamped on them to inform you which is the inlet and outlet. Looking at your image, the braided hose nearest the cross member (I cannot fully see its routing as it is masked somewhat by the crossmember) but it looks like it is doubling back on itself. If this is the hose which connects to the metal fuel pipe which leads to the fuel tank, the routing could do with being more linear (possible restriction of the flow of fuel). Which of the two other metal connector tubes (left or right) have you connected to the short hose which connects to the long metal fuel pipe which runs the length of the car leading back to the fuel tank?

Last edited:
Back