Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 rear brake

tibetans

Hi

I have a Renault 4 based DRK three wheeler - I am trying to source a new brake backplate for the rear wheel - it is fitted with a bendix system and the manual adjusters are seized I need ideas to free the adjustors or a source for a new assembly - I have looked at several companies - Der Franzose etc but cannot find backplates mentioned anywhere - any ideas welcolm.

Richard

Hi Richard

If the the adjusters are partially seized, it is sometimes possible to free them off with ample quantities of wd40, working them loose with a back and forth motion with the correct square headed adjustment spanner from the back of the backplate or with mull grips from the inside with the shoes off. If very stubborn, they can be gently heated up and worked free using the same techniques, but there is a risk of distortion. If no joy, email me with an image of your back plate and I should be able to help you out with some used ones I have spare. My email is: christianebeyer@yahoo.co.uk.

Best Regards

Hi Richard

If the the adjusters are partially seized, it is sometimes possible to free them off with ample quantities of wd40, working them loose with a back and forth motion with the correct square headed adjustment spanner from the back of the backplate or with mull grips from the inside with the shoes off. If very stubborn, they can be gently heated up and worked free using the same techniques, but there is a risk of distortion. If no joy, email me with an image of your back plate and I should be able to help you out with some used ones I have spare. My email is: christianebeyer@yahoo.co.uk.

Best Regards
Thanks for the advice - I removed the backplate and soaked the adjusters and was then able to free them - waiting for new bearings - shoes and brake cylinder to rebuild.
Richard

Back