Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Savane for sale

Chiara

Much loved white 1987 Renault 4TL Savane, left hand drive 50,000 Km. Only two lady owners & spent most of her life in Italy! I have had her since I was a student & she has followed me wherever I have gone. She is in very good condition & has been much loved - she is the Squirrelmobile. She is now UK registered & has 8 Months MOT.

I have to move abroad to New Zealand & so I'm looking for a good home for her. £1300 ono
Chiara

• squirrel1.jpg
    squirrel1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 706
  • squirrel2a.jpg
    squirrel2a.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 682
  • squirrel3a.JPG
    squirrel3a.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 700
  • squirrel4.jpg
    squirrel4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 692
Has nobody snapped this one up yet? I'm amazed! The photos suggest original wings and original paint both of which look like they are still in good condition. That says something about the chassis as well. Surely someone wants a trouble free Renault 4.

Welcome back pinkpenguindog and thanks for that rewrite - it really got rid of the ambiguity. :D

Have you been to see it yet or arranged anything?

Dear Clementine

Yes - must type more carfully (!)

Mrs Pinkpenguindog has finally given in and I am now authorised to put an R4 in the garage - subject to finding the space.

We've just returned from our annual ten days in France and I'm saddened to report that the R4 count is down on last year from 32 to 31, so I've convinced her that we'd better get one now before it's too late.

So, I'm now officially looking for an R4 in good condition and low maintenance as I'm not mechanically-minded. Are green ones really faster than blue ones?

Regards

PPD

PS - I think we (Mrs PPD, really) got a 'photo of a plein air in La Rochelle - I'll see if we can upload it.

I agree if the French have lost one then you will certainly need to get one to keep the numbers up. I'll have to congratulate Mrs pinkpenguindog for her wisdom on that matter.

The new and exciting "guides" section (the green button at the top) explains that you don't have to be mechanically minded as they don't do wrong. That's why the French still run them. Got to watch for rust though. I ordered a Renault compatable welder today for that very reason.

The colour issue is rather complicated. The green ones have quite good aerodynamics which can give them a higher top speed, but the blue ones have more powerful engines so they'll beat the green ones off the lights. I've been unfair about the white ones in the past (I think I accused them of rust), but that one is well worth a look.

Well, I think I get the logic on the numbers, and I almost understand the colour thing, too - but what about red ones? I like red ones.

Red ones

I think the consensus of opinion was that the red ones are less rusty, which is invaluable in Britain. The French aren't too concerned with rust so they tend to go for white ones because you can load more in them. If you don't need to rush around you don't need to go for a blue or green one. If you want comfort you'll need a yellow one. :yellowre:
What I want to know is what happens with a respray. Often it's just a freshen up of the same colour but if the colour is changed drastically do the characteristics of the car change as well?

Good point!

So, if I have a two tone one I can have the best of all words.

And, I heard the other day that if it has the original 70's radio you can still get Terry Wogan on it. Amazing.

Lucky you didn't get that car in the end. Two tone is a very bad idea. Real pain for parking if you don't match the colours accurately.

I heard about a guy once who parked his blue-over-red two tone R4 at a supermarket. The red part was towed away by the authorities while he shopped (being a little slower it hadn't made it off the main road).

Serves him right for poor colour co-ordination, but something to watch for.

How about

Green on the outside and white on the inside?

I've forgotten what green does but remember that white is good for load capacity - so a bit TARDIS like.

Brilliant!

And I checked my spelling before hitting the goo key.

wedding

hey:)
i have a bit of a cheeky request - i'm not lucky enough to own an r4, but would really like to have one as a wedding car, just the short ride to the church and then on to the reception. i'm in cambridge. is there any chance of renting your beautiful white r4 just for the weekend? the big event is in november, and i could guarantee a reliable driver, probably my dad in fact. is there any chance you'd consider this?
lucy

Dear Lucy,
Congratulation for your Wedding but the car has been sold. Maybe Ruby can help you. Good Luck
Chiara

Back