Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 seats

Dave Stoke

I have a Renault 4 and want to change the front seats to something more comfortable, preferably with head rests. Will the seats from the Renault 5 fit in a Renault 4?

Thanks, Dave

Few Renault 5 seats are any better than Renault 4 seats (aside from the headrests stuff). But I have been advised before that they do fit.

I'd say if you are going to invest in some new seats, that you may as well get some proper nicer higher quality and more supportive ones

Thanks for the information Richard. I was thinking about the Renault 5 as a lot of mid '80s Renault 5s have the same tartan trim as the Renault 4 GTL so the seats would look quite good.

Did any of the bigger Renaults use the same tartan trim?

R5 seats

I ran an R5 for a while (complete with tartan trim!) and found it possibly the most comfortable car I have ever driven. However, as the driving position in the R4 is different I don't know whether they would work as well fitted in one (assuming that you can fit them).

Re: R5 seats

Renault 25 front seats.Just require two minutes of adjustment with a round file to the floor where the seat mounts. Seats are bigger but a lot more comfortable.Best ones are the R25 Monaco seats in Leather.

First forum is extra!

What do u think about range-rover seats year from 85!Can it fit?

I uploaded pictures in gallery!i crashed my r4 last winter ,i hit in a taxi,it was his fault!
And second questio:how can i make my r4 more powerful without changing motor?i
I'm student of mechanical engineerig ,i dont have money for new motor

Greetings from wormy Serbia

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be surprised if Range Rover seats would fit the Renault 4. The seats need to be quite narrow to leave room for the handbrake.

I looked at the photographs. That's a nasty crash. I hope you can fix it without too much expense.

The easiest way to tune a Renault 4 is to fit the carburettor from a Mk 1 Renault 5 1.1. The Renault 5 carburettor is less restrictive. There is some information on the change on http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/about36.html

R4s have very comfortable seats but they tend to "sink" However, nearly all '70s Renault seats (including R5) have the same bolt pattern and can be fitted directly on the R4. I have driven R4s with both R5 and R16 seats, and there seems to be the following problem: As the R4 is "forward-tilting" you will need special seats (that means R4 seats) somewhat higher at the front to bring you to a normal driving position. The other Renaults' seats make you feel that the front part of the seat is too low and your thighs are poorly supported. So I would choose R4 seats (or maybe R6, I dont remember if they had headrests but were somewhat wider).

Thanx for information ppl!

@Clementine i fix it my self for 100 euros.Parts are much or less cheap in Serbia and r4 is also national car like in France!Do u have some information about sinpar 4x4 parts ,how much it cost where can i find it,i try everywere
here without sucess
p.s.look my stereo in r4!

cokula_copy_113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back