Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 TL Alpine

r4tl

Enthusiast
Hello!

I`m comming from Slovenija and I have one big problem. I have at home restored Renault 4 TL and machine 1400 ccm, 91 Hp from Renault Alpine. I have problem with the axle of the carriage from the transmission gear
(differential (gear)) to the wheel. The problem is that I don`t have any part of the axle. I was looking for axle in Italy, Austria... but I didn`t found any soo I decided to replace differential (gear) in Alpine transmission gear with the differential (gear) from Renault 4 GTL transmission gear. And finaly the question: "Are the differential (gear) identical gear wheel? Are the identical size? Will the differential (gear) from Renault 4 GTL fit in transmission gear of Alpine?"

Thanks for help;)

PS: My eanglish is very bad, soo... spare me for my miskatkes!

R4TL

Which gearbox do you have? Is it like the Renault 4 gearbox, or is it the later type in the photograph?

I don't think the differential from the Renault 4 will fit in the gearbox in the photo, but it should be OK in the gearbox that looks like the original Renault 4 gearbox.

The Renault 4 gearbox will fit the Gordini engine.

• gordini-box.jpg
    gordini-box.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 747
if it was a 850cc tl then you have a problem indeed, the engine runs the other way around.(if i am correct.)
the ALPINE/ALPINE TURBO gearbox will fit but then you have a problem with changing gears, or you must think of something like working with cables(from shiftstick) or make floor mounted gearlever.
why you don't take a GTL gearbox?? much easier.
grtz
suc6
cees

Gearbox...

Hello;)

I have a later type of gearbox like that on the photograph. The original engine was 845 ccm and now I want to remake it to Alpine, so... I have at home a gearbox from GTL, which fit to the Alpine motor, but... gear ratio is too short and I can`t lead normaly, becouse my first gear is too hight and my car goes 170 km/h in thir gear:(
I was looking for fifth-speed gearbox from an older Renault 5 or R12, but... i was looking vainly in austria, Italy, Hrvatska.... i didn`t find any gearbox the axle of the carriage for Alpine.
I saw in an old handbook for Renault 4L a picture of the axle of the carriage and... it looks like the the axle of the carriage of Alpine... is this correctly?

PS: Have anybody some axle of the carriage for Alpine to sell?

Marko

An idea: why don't you look for an R5TX gearbox? Should be much easier to find. It is like an R4 gearbox, but with 5th gear in a separate box in front of it. That makes it a little longer, so you'll need to make some space for it in the front. Besides that, installation is no hassle. Everything fits. To avoid the R5s cables and levers you can use a normal GTL shifter putting on the R4 gearbox'es cover, with the R5's selector (so it's able to select 5th). All gears are selected like in a GTL, including reverse, with 5th in the usually empty spot in right-front position. It took me two or three rides to find my method of putting in 5th quickly, instead of going back to 3rd, but then I never thought about it again.
I have one of those in mine and it goes 170kph at around 5000rpms in 5th with an 85HP engine on long straights. With your engine, you should be there and beyond in no time. (Have you given the brakes some thought???) Better material brakepads, better fluid and a better main cylinder for a start wouldn't hurt....
Lowering the whole thing a little wouldn't hurt either.
The gearbox type is HA-1

*Edit*
Is it easy for you to find one of those Alpine cylinder heads, along with pushrods and camshaft? :wink:

Back