Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Van on eBay (ends 25 July 05)

wow, 1500 seems like a heck of a lot. Should i take it that F6s are worth way more than tl and gtls?

If anything the vans would normally go for less. I'm not sure why that one has reached those heady levels.

hmmmm,
i looked at an f6 today 1985. Engine and mechanicals and all seemed fine,91000 miles and one owner and evidence of servicing (new oil filter, clean around plugs, engine started from cold fine and hummed nice), panels fine too and rear suspension mountings seem good.
BUT the floor has been welded at the front before(a plate about 2 foot long and one foot wide, inline with the inner chassis piece) behind the front right wheel (the base of that boxed in triangular section and back another 8 inches) and now needs welding again. (poked my finger through!

Lifting up the matt reveals a rusty mess. outside chasis piece seems fine but i reckon the inside is rotted a bit.
theres also a plate welded 8 inches in from the rear right suspenion but that looks solid.
anyone hazard a ballpark value idea? Am really considering buying but unsure of the value.

thanks folks
nicky

It's tricky to guess the value without looking at the car. I'd guess up to £500 if it has 12 months MOT but is a little tatty. Maybe up to £1000 if it's straight, mostly rust free and with the MOT. The paint job seems to add a lot to the prices on eBay. Nice fresh polished paint on a good F6 would maybe reach £1500.

Sounds like your is at the lower end. The patches on the floor seem a little large. They are sure to have been welded on top of the original rust forming a double skin that will rust nicely in the future.

If the inner chassis has rotten it would be a pain to weld. Normally you'll get away with painting the floor.

Does it have the MOT? If it's only a short MOT then the price could easily be halved.

thanks for the response,
Its got MOT till jan 2006. 5 good tyres. The flap that swings up on the roof over the backdoor is rusty in a corner too. the plate is certainly welded over the old floor; messers! I think they welded to the inner chasis along the side and then the weld rusted taking a little bit of the bottom of the vertical chasis with it. I know someone at home who could weld it up for me properly and cheaply so i was thinking i could do the cutting grinding and cleaning and they could do the welding.
Im not familiar with the english MOT test. Is it much of an assurance? What do they check? Can i take it the brakes are good?

I have the number of the garage that serviced the van for its life and they say that replacing the plate will cost between 30 and 80 pounds. I was thinking i could bring the thing to them to give it a look over before buying if the seller agrees. hmmm. If i buy this thing Ill be driving it straight to ireland so its got to be able to make it from london to holyhead! Dont fancy being stuck in wales in the rain...

Oh yeah its priced at 425pounds. to buy or not to buy...... Any ideas on how to proceed would be great.

Obviouly its always hard to say without seing the car, but look on the
plus side...

1owner
Service history and in regular use
Straight uper panels
Roof flap easily replaced with a secondhand one, try Liam
Welding does not sound to serious...get it home, take off the old bodge repair and then get it done properly
Quite cheap
Better than buying of ebay which can be a complete lottery
Offer them £350 and drive off a happy man ...

Down side...
English MOT's are in no way a sign that the car is in good condition...
Be carefull and get a second opinion if you are not sure.

oh dear, now i have van to drive to ireland.! a summers sanding and painting awaits. thanks for the advise folks

Back