Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4L in a "Motoring Which" From January 1963

André4Renaults

Enthusiast
I've just bought a copy of the above magazine, care of "a well-known internet auction site" which contains a report comparing a group of estate cars; the Renault 4L, a Mini Countryman, a Morris Minor, an Austin A40 and a Ford Anglia. The Fiat 500 "Gardinaire" was to have been included, but it crashed mid-way through the tests! The Renault 4L won on several points, economy and load carrying capacity being the main ones, but it was slower than the rest and its handling left something to be desired. Oddly, it wasn't wearing Michelins, which I thought were de rigeuer for Renaults of that era! Another criticism was the alarming angle of roll the car made when cornering, which lead to wheel rim damage at the front. The car didn't have an ignition key, just a switch, drawing the comment that the car could easily be stolen, were the doors left unlocked. The lack of synchromesh on 1st gear was also criticised.

The car was the very early one, with the 747cc engine, simple rod bumpers and rubber over-riders.

I could scan some of the report's pages here if there's a demand so to do.

Last edited:
Back