Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4's meeting up

markandjames

Enthusiast
Is it me or is there not enought times where r4 owners in the uk can meet up, chat and do charity runs etc. If we look at the mini for example there are so many events which can be attended by mini owners. I feel that us r4 owners in the uk should really try to meet up, do the odd charity run and chat with likeminded people.

What about a r4 club of great britain, clementine?

We had a meet up of Renault 4s a couple of weeks ago at the Slow Car Club Drag Racing Challenge. It was great fun, although we didn't manage all that many Renault 4s.

It would be fun to meet up. I can't imagine ever getting more than 10 Renault 4s in the same place in the UK, and that would make for a dull stand alone event. We could decend on someone else's event. That would be fun.

Best time would be in the summer when it's warm and you can stand outside. My ideas would be either another drag racing event, or turning up at one of the Renault club events. Let's decide on something. I can set up a mailing list or entry form (or something) on the home page.

Anyone with ideas for events?

I think an R4 club would be a cool idea, but I reckon Clementine's right -the problem for organising interesting events would probably be a shortage of vehicles / owners.

When I had my first R4 about 15 years ago (when there were still quite a few cars about) a dedicated club would have been brilliant as it would have encouraged the preservation of the cars and raised their profile amongst potential owners, but alas in those pre-internet days I never really managed to make contact with other enthusiasts. I joined the Renault Owners' Club, but found it a bit too dull and bearded (apologies to any ROC members reading this!!) so soon gave up on it.

Maybe it might be worth trying to organise a small stand at one of the national classic car shows, although that inevitably means an investment of somebody's time and money (at which point interest may suddenly evaporate... :cry: ). It would be one way of testing the water though.

As another idea, what about gate-crashing a 'rival' event? I remember being gate-crashed at the 2CVGB national meeting about 5 years ago by a swarm of Messerschmitt bubble-cars (including a friend of mine being chased around a rugby field by one!), which was unexpected and amusing. Maybe gatecrashing a 2cv event (the 2cv being the R4's nemesis, and most 2cv owners being a light-hearted bunch) in a small convoy of R4s and challenging them at something bizarre (a motorised custard-pie fight in the respective vehicles?) might create a positive reaction? :shock:

I think the Slow Car Club's drag racing event was an amusing idea, and maybe if it became an annual event it might be possible to attract enough R4 owners to have an impromptu R4 meet simultaneously.

I would be up for meeting up with a few other Renault 4 owners in the summer, especially if some of the more knowledgeble ones were there. As a new R4 owner it would be nice to compare it with others, and learn more about my new car.

Sounds all great but would there be enough people ? i hardly ever see R4s on the road any more ! but would be nice to meet some more like minded idiots.

May be a idea ! Every year there is a VW [aircooled variety] meet at Stonor Park [approx 9 miles from Reading,22 from Oxford and 40 west of London. It is a medium sized event in very large and pretty stately/manor houses grounds and is easily and discreetly gatecrashed and i have personally found the Beetle fraternity quite friendly lot who appreciate the charms of the R4.

.If my memory serves me correct it is normally the first weekend in June. What do people think ?

I'd definately meet up!
Have just got my very first car (a renault 4) and have fallen in love with it. Somebody died and left it to my dad and he has given it to me. I think it would be fun to meet up!

Looks like a boy racer affair with a bit of drag racing. An ideal venue for the Slow Car Club.

Anyone go last year? What was it like?

Just to alert you guys, a new site's just gone up for the French Car Show, follow the link I posted above.

It used to just direct you to the "pics" area.

Looks like a laugh, and only £10 a ticket...

Back