Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 indicationlamps

Chip

Hi guys,

At first you will need to excuse my english, i'm from Sweden. Hope you understand!

I bought this Renault 5 -88 just for fun yesterday. The engine seems OK and everything works, i hope.

Now i have a question about this odd indicationlamps on the panel. There is 4-5 lamps to the right (next to the rpm-thing), and the top lamp of these is blinking sometimes. I have no clue what this is, because i have no instructions to my car.

It would be nice if you could explain what these lamps mean! =)

Welcome to the forum Chip,

My Renault 5 manual only covers cars up to 1985, so I'm not sure of the lamp positioning on your car. You will probably be able to buy a copy of the manual on eBay (try UK).

I've attached images of R5 Gordini instrument panel lights. If you can identify the light with the correct symbol, then maybe we can suggest how to fix the problem.

r5-instruments-1.jpg
r5-instruments-2.jpg

32 Headlamp full beam
33 Heated rear window
34 Hazard warning lamps
35 Rear fog lamp
48 Front Fog lamp
44 Battery Warning
45 Brake warning (and handbrake)
46 Oil pressure warning
47 Choke indicator

And a few more from the Renault 4:

r4-instruments.jpg

3 Headlamp dipped beam (normally disabled)
4 Water temperature warning
5 Rear fog lamp
6 Directional indicators
7 Heated rear window
8 Headlamp full beam
9 Hazard warning lights
10 Battery warning light
11 Choke
12 Brake and handbrake warning
13 Oil pressure warning

Thank you, my guess is that the blinking lamp indicates that my brakes are bad. I got some answers from a swedish friend, and he says that not all my lamps are working, because i have the same panel as every Renault 5 after -86.

Well, know I now that the blinking lamps indicates bad brakes. Thanks!

Bad brakes - scary!

That light tends to flash when driving around corners if the brake fluid level is low, or it might flash randomly or when you press the pedal if the front brake pads are worn. Definately one to sort out.

Back