Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 Monaco Carb

Tutton

Hi all,

I have been doing some serious searching and have given up! In a effort to do the tuning of my poorly running R5, I've got it running slightly smoother by venting breathers to atmosphere and all this, but I cannot for the life of me find the mixture screw! I've got the idle adjustment which you can do through the air box but cannot find the mixture. Various small screws around the carb base but unsure of all of them. This is the helpful part, I'm not even sure what carb it is either! I think its a weber drt 32. Looking at images this looks the nearest to what I've got. The car is a 1.7 petrol R5 monaco, twin choke. I can provide some pictures if someone knows where it might be!

Thanks in advance

Hi Tutton
Such carb comes also on R9 and R11. I am attaching you some pictures. Carb is meant as factory adjusted so wont see any needle to adjust for mix. But.... This is because it is hidden to regular users. You may find it on the side of main jet, (It is covered with a small piece of round metal). See picture. There are two types of carbs, difference is made on size of venturis (?), some have two same size (R9) and some have smaller main Venturi (R11).
Still it is a pain to have it tuned, kind of trial and error.
Oppss, I personally have trouble trying to send pictures, I do not know how. As soon as I find the way I will send them to you.
Good luck!

Carb has fixed jets. Problem with the Monaco carb is it distorts and lets air in at the bottom which weakens the mixture. If the carb is ever removed it will never seal again.

The best fix is to replace (or skim) the carb and replace the gasket and heat spacer all at the same time. Then take the car out for a very long run (at least 50 miles - Befordshire to Warwickshire seems to be enough) so the new gasket can expand and glue itself on to the carb which will have bent again by then. I think I mentioned the gasket supplier a reply to one of your previous posts. The gasket by itself might be enough and might not. Might be worth a shot at £30 but it can't be reused if it doesn't work.

If you see a fellow called Pepper who goes on about fuel don't listen to him. :) He bought mine after I had replaced the carb and gasket (at different times) but I hadn't driven far enough to get it to glue itself together to stop the leak faster than it distorted.

The carb should be a Solex 28/34 Z10. The one from the Volvo 340 1.7 also works. The manual suggests a Solex 32/34 Z13 was also a possibility.

I'VE FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drivers side lower back left of carb is a hole with a white ish liner bush and a flat head down inside it! the wife is not having her small make up mirror back! Found the solex marking and got my ears twitching and got it running sweet! Its smoother than a babies bottom! Oil change and flush on tuesday and hopefulky take it from there! Thanks for the help everyone! I'm definately keeping anlog off all this you cannot find any information on these cars, unless you're fluent tin french, german or other languages.

Everything I found the carb was slightly different, breather in a different place, or fuel inlet at a different angle.

Back