Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 starter issue?

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Hi all, I received an e-mail about a Renault 5 starter motor issue. I'm baffled. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have a 1996 Renault 5 Campus Prima with the same/similar starter motor. My problem is not on starting, but when I switch the engine off. There is a noise comes from the starter similar to that if you keep the ignition key turned too long when starting the car.

I removed the starter yesterday tested and greased etc, but no difference when I replaced it?

I would be grateful if you had any ideas?

I can't see how a starter would make funny noises as the engine is switched off, while presumably not doing so when the engine is running.
:clementi:

Sounds like a weak solenoid spring to me, or he has problems with his wiring or ignition switch. These starters are cheap to buy secondhand as there's loads of spare cars about in the scrapyards. I would try a substitute starter first to see if it cures the problem.

Steve

I would immediately suspect the ignition switch- either internal contacts or a short between the wires - on reflection most likely internal contacts, causing a stray short between the battery supply to the switch and the starter supply lead from the switch as the switch is moved to the "off" position. Either an internal breakage or lubricant mixing with metal particles, or use of graphite type lubricant could contribute to this.

A way to test would be a substitute ignition switch or disconnecting the starter supply lead from the switch once you have started, and see if the problem is still there.

Some good ideas there. I can't think of anything else that could make a noise like a crunching starter motor. I've sent the guy a mail:

There have been a few suggestions on the forum: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/about125.html
It sounds like the starter could be trying to engage or not disengaging properly. You could try disconnecting the thin wire to the solenoid while the engine is running then switch off to see if it still happens. If it stops it'll be ignition. Otherwise possibly new starter.

NOT a starter problem

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Although the sound was incredibly like a starter motor noise, on further investigation (thanks to an email suggestion and some mechanics stethoscopes)I found it was coming from the small idle speed control motor attached to the throttle assembly.

The manual indicated there was little could be done in the way of maintenance. Nevertheless I removed/dismantled and greased (sparingly) the plastic cogs.

The unit still makes a noise, but sounds much better.

The motor primes the throttle for the next start, then retracts back after a short time to lessen the idle speed.

A renault dealer stated "they all do it, and it is not a problem"

Once again, thanks to all who responded.

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. It's good to share this sort of thing on the internet - hopefully others with the same problem will now be able to find the answer using Google.

I bought my mother a R5 campus in 1993ish. I think hers was a 1987 car and it was brilliant. Nothing as complicated as a throttle priming motor in those days. We bought the car for about half the market value as it ran really badly (the choke was stuck fully closed). With a new choke cable the car lasted for another 10 years.

Hi i'm new here, i have the same problem with the starer motor making a noise when the engine is turned off, mine is a campus prima 1995

sorry forgot to add, my renault 5 has failed its MOT because the engine was ticking over too high and they couldn't do an emissions test, how can the tick over be turned donw
Renault 5 Campus Prima 1995

Yep i'm dumb , i'm a woman

I was hoping Chris would help with this one. I'd just be guessing here as I know nothing about the fuel system on late Renault 5s. It seems to me (from rfenby's post) that if the idle speed control motor is making a lot of noise (which sounds just like the starter) and the idle speed is also wrong, then that bit would be a good bit to replace. Really, I'm just guessing.

Welcome to the forum anyway. Hopefully someone who knows more than me about this sort of thing can help.

Hello again, thanks for the info, we also changed the Base Gasket and used a high tempreture sealant and it worked wonders it passed the emissions test and it is ticking over alot better now.
Once again thanks

renault 5 starter motor

hi guys
i've got a renault 5 campus k-reg 92 I just bough a starter motor of the internet and the guy promised me its the right thing took it to a garage and the mechanic now tell me there is about 5 different types of starter motors for this car in that year that doesnt sound right??? Wjo's at fault the seller or the mechanic??

On the previous post the mechanic sais the electric terminal is on teh wrong side and will short on the exaust pipe can it be turned around with the two little nuts?

It's not practical to turn the solonoid around as one end is hard wired to the motor. I'd go with the mechanic's advice if he's worried about the wires shorting on the exhaust.

I'm surprised there is a difference like that between different R5 starters, as all tranverse engined cars are going to have the exhaust in much the same place. Possibly the starter is for an earlier model with the longitudinal engine that has a lot more space.

Back