Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replacing 28IF with 32IF7 on 845cc

nicky4tl

Enthusiast
Hi,
I've noticed 32IF7 carbs pop up on ebay in france regularly enough. Would this be a worthwhile item to fit to the 845cc engine and if so what other parts are needed?
I understand this was fitted to later 845cc but mine just has the 28IF.

Thanks
Nick

You will need the 32mm manifold too, or make an adaptor plate and bore out the hole to 32mm if you feel skilled enough. Depending of what version of the 28mm manifold you have, it may or may not have smaller ports compared to the 32mm manifold.

If the 32IF was not from an 845 engine, you will also need the suitable jets.

Also the 32mm carburettor base was water-heated, the original setup had a special head with a water take-off, and another T-junction at the bottom heater hose. I think water heating should be necessary for your cold climate, so your best solution would be to use two T-junctions on the heater hoses.

Renault used to combine the larger carburettor with a different distributor having a vacuum advance unit. Centrifugal advance curve is the same (R284) as on other 845s. The ideal solution would be to find that distributor, too.

I have driven a couple of R4s equipped with this setup, and it makes a noticeable difference, especially in bottom to middle torque, and engine smoothness.

As it happens, I've got this manifold/dizzy/waterpump/head and carb sat in my shed (from an '84 845 motor), possibly for sale (not by me) if I can get a renault 5 setup for my pal's 1108. PM me if you're interested.

It is a "large" style distributor (like the ones fitted on the 1108s).

Sorry, I was wrong saying the centrifugal advance curve is the same as on earlier R4s. The correct is: Centrifugal curve: R287, Vacuum curve: D83. These should be stamped on the distributor body with large numbers.

Be sure that the distributor has the correct drive gor the small engine

Back