Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Return of the 4GTL

ggcton

Enthusiast
Well I got the car back from the bodyshop today ,the first time I have driven it on the road since fitting the 123 ignition systen and R5 carb.
It is going much better but still feels as if it is missing and lacking power.
I have changed the plugs but I have been caught out by faulty new plugs in the past.
Which is the best modern plug to fit in the GTL?
It seems to go better with a very light foot on the accelerator so that may be a clue.
The tank has been removed and has been cleaned and past OK. The fuel lines have been blown through with the air line. The car has a new fuel pump.
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks Gary

Vacuum advance is the first thing that springs to mind. Can I guess you have a Femsa distributer with one of those nasty plastic vacuum advances that don't work after a measly 25 years? Worth taking the distributor cap off and sucking on the hose to see if the top plate on the distributor moves. The timing should be set with the vacuum advance disconnected.

It sounds like a timing problem of some sort. Plugs would be worse at low speed.

Hi Malcolm The 123ignition system replaces the entire distriburor.
I dumped the Femsa.
Gary

Does the vacuum advance plug into the 123 system? Or does it only work off engine speed?

I'd be inclined to set it as advanced as you can. If you get pinking on hills or stalling or bad behaviour in towns tweak it back a little. Is the 123 system programmable?

Back