Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

RHD 4 on ebay

3rd photo showing rear quarter looks to be a quick blow over repair under window/wing join, not what I would expect to see on a car advertised at that price......

Hmm, it needs a fair bit of tidying under the bonnet too, it's very scruffy. Presentation is the order of the day at that price.

Thank you both. Sharper eyes and more experience than me. I'm speaking through this forum to prospective seller and will leave the Ebay one to someone braver.

Hi Ben... to check on any UK registered car, there's a very useful official Government website which sets out the MoT history going back at least ten years: Check the MOT history of a vehicle - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The red Renault 4GTL reg. C712TLB currently on ebay had covered 150,753 miles on 20th August 2020, but in 2018 had major defects (fail) recorded, including 'Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength'. There was also an advisory 'Offside Front Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced'. A further advisory in 2017 relating to 'Front offside floor corrosion'. Looking back over these past ten years, there appears to be persistent issues with headlamp alignment, brake imbalance and brake pipe corrosion, exhaust mountings and emissions. It has covered 20k miles over the past ten years, so there's no indication of what life and where it had been during the first 25 years.

Although the car looks superficially shiny in parts, but patchy, unusually for a GTL of this vintage it features black PVC seats rather than tartan cloth, chrome door handles and chrome hubcaps, which are not UK spec. The chrome bumpers appear new, the UK originals would have been grey painted. However, zooming in on the photos, the dash, steering wheel and underbonnet look rather shabby in comparison. It's being sold by a general car dealer who buys cars with or without MoT, so check out the other cars for sale.

You'll appreciate these are just my personal opinions based on close inspection of the photographs, MoT history and the very limited description on ebay. Caveat emptor.

Thank you for your message John. I hadn't seen the MOT history website before and appreciate all the points you make. Consider this emptor caveated. All the best, Ben

Back