Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road worthiness tests . 1972 Renault 4s

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
Hi there .
This is regarding road worthiness tests for old cars . I thought I read somewhere that when a car is over 30 years old it doesn't need an MOT in England but I am a retired Brit living in Spain and last year I bought a 1972 Renault 4s that hasn't been on the road for about 4 years . I am getting to the point now where it's almost ready for the road . In Spain it's always difficult to get a straight answer about most things that involve paperwork and because of the lock down I think test stations have been closed and the Gestoria I usually ask about these things has also been closed . My question is simply this , does anyone know if my car needs road tax and an ITV . ITV being the equivalent to an MOT in England .
We are in the Malaga region of southern Spain .
Thanks for reading

In the U.K. the rules are that a vehicle over 40 (forty) years of age is not required to be tested. However, this does NOT remove the responsibility from the owner or driver to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition when used on the public highway. Speaking personally I don't like the ruling and consider that ALL vehicles used on the public highway should be subjected to a M.O.T. test, appropriate to the vehicle's age. I realise there are differing opinions on this point but I always test my classic car; I am a semi-retired mechanic and a qualified M.O.T. tester, and the test gives me peace of mind!

Thanks for that Andrew .
Problem is that doesn't help with the situation here in Spain . It's not so easy to get an ITV test because the stations are few and far apart . The nearest for me is a forty minute drive and if you just turn up without an appointment you could be just turned away for one reason or another . Also it's recommended here to take your car to a garage first for a pre ITV and then the mechanic books the test and drives your car to the station so as you see it's not easy and also gets quite expensive .
Thanks again .

Back