Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ruby

Charles

Enthusiast
I have just purchased 'Ruby' in France, where I live part of the year. She is a 1988 TL 'Savanne'. The previous owner had kept her for the last 20 years and she has only been used to go to the shops. She has run 120,000kms (75000mls) When not out and about she has been garaged and is in lovely original condition. Ruby did have a minor bump last year which has resulted in a new bonnet and front bumper. She drives very sweetly, and appears to be in excellent form. The 'Savanne' edition is, I think, just a couple of stripes down the side and the word stuck on the rear. She has lived all her life in SW France and so has no rust as far as I can tell.

One repair I would like to tackle is a split on the front passenger seat - see the photos - has anyone had this problem and been able to solve without a complete recover (would like to avoid this as the other seats are in good condition.

The one thing Ruby hasn't got, which I would have liked, is the full length sunroof (do not appear to be that common in this part of France) is it possible to get them retro fitted?

For anyone thinking of buying in France, I found her through an on-line 'for sale' site called 'le bon coin' (the good corner) http://www.leboncoin.fr there are a lot of overpriced, poor condition 4Ls, but every now and then a good one turns up - it's good fun to look at anyway (if your French isn't up to much. copy and paste the wording into google translate). The purchase and transfer was easy and in France insurance is good value and includes any driver and breakdown cover

Glad at last to be a member of the Quatrelle family.

Charles George

• IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2676.jpg
    IMG_2676.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 128
As a guide, what did you pay for yours (hope not too personal a question) and what phrases have we to look out for in these French adverts (especially regarding French MoT). Very interesting website. Have fun with Ruby.

Ruby was advertised at €2000 but I actually paid €1750 for her. Most adverts put in 'à débattre' which means to debate the price/negotiate. Even without this, the price tends to be negotiatable and the initial asking price reflects this - however, generally second hand cars in france tend to be expensive and even more so at present with the exchange rate if thinking in UK pounds. The French MOT known as the 'CT' lasts for two years, but I believe is not as rigid as the UK MOT. To sell a car it must have a minimum of 6 months CT, but most sellers have it done just before selling the car. As for phases, then the obvious one is 'TRES BON ETAT' - very good condition, but usually it is 'Bon état général' which means a few dents and rust or sometimes lots of both! The most expensive I have seen is this one http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/119408863.htm?ca=2_s at €3100

Charles

;) Hi everybody,

I live in France and me and my brother we both bought our Renault 4 on "Le Bon Coin" which is certainly the most interesting website in France to find R4 or any other old cars.
Be careful with "Très bon état" (very good condition), or "Bon état général" (Good condition), most of the sellers don't know exactlly what are the common critic rusted areas on the R4 and are persuaded to sell a perfect car even though the car is in very poor condition with the rear chassis, floor or anything else...
I advise everybody here to ask the sellers to take few pictures of the underside of the chassis not to make the journey for nothing; if you speak french it can be very instructive to call the seller to ask him some other details about his car, when they begin to tell about the real condition of the cars they sell, you can have many -bad- surprises :eek: :eek:

But I don't want to be pessimist, in spite of everything this is the best way to find a R4 in France to look for it in "The Bon Coin"...

Good luck for your searchs ;)

Hello

i recently bought a complete set of seat and very good condition covers from the breakers yard on the route from villeneuve sur lot to bourdeaux. The price was 60 euro. I also spend a lot of time in france we stay between penne d'agenaise ane hautefage la tour, maybe we could meet up.

seat covers

Hello

just wanted to add i bought from wind classics a set of rear sear covers in a grey and red cheque, that i did not use in the end and have decided to sell them. If interrested get in touch

Back