Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Scrapage scheme

renault4mad

Enthusiast
I heard today some sad news of another 4 going to the great scrap yard in the sky courtesy of the goverment.
A friend of mine helps out at the yard and rang me today offering me it for spares. GREAT.. $300.(no pound sign on my keyboard) i dont know exact details of the car...but im not that desperate for parts...i offered $150....he was going to let me know so i will keep you informed of the outcome...

happy motoring from Cornwall

Andrew

I heard today some sad news of another 4 going to the great scrap yard in the sky courtesy of the goverment.
A friend of mine helps out at the yard and rang me today offering me it for spares. GREAT.. $300.(no pound sign on my keyboard) i dont know exact details of the car...but im not that desperate for parts...i offered $150....he was going to let me know so i will keep you informed of the outcome...

happy motoring from Cornwall

Andrew

Will you show us a picture if you can get one?

Similar thread herre:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872076

Under the rules of the stupid scrappage scheme (and also the rules of the dealers) anyone who wants to rescue a car seems to have to stump up both the government contribution and the manufacturer's contribution so the dealers can make money. That's £2,000 so Renault 4s aren't being saved.

A friend rescued a Jenson Healey from the scrappage scheme for £2,000. I couldn't believe someone would try to scrappage a Jenson Healey.

It goes against the whole ethos of this forum. We were the first environmentalists. We have kept our R4s going for 20-30 years (so far). Replacing them with new cars would cause far more environmental damage than chugging away with cars that are extremely light weight and use less petrol than the modern equivalents even if you ignore the cost to the environment of making a new car

Scrappage is entirely political. It's entirely about boosting the economy by persuading people to spend money.

It's a waste. And it's a shame on all of us including me. And I can't think of anything that we can do about it. We are in a democracy and we have to suffer the lack of power and that comes with that.

Well said, Malcolm, I couldn't agree more!!!

We had a similar government-sponsored "incentive" over here in Germany last Year.
It was called the "Abwrackpraemie".

Everybody who delivers his (minimum 12(?) Year) old car to the scrapeyard would get a 2000 Euro off zertificate when he/she signs the contract for a brand new car of any sort and make.

The idea behind that BS was to boost the German economy through the world economy crysis.

I don't want to know how many nice, fully functional and prospective veteran cars got lost that way...

The funny thing (in a sarcastic way) was that it turned out that in the end this "incentive" indeed raised the selling of new cars.
New cars like Daewoo, Hjunday, Peugeot, Renault, Lada, Dacia, and a few Opel as well.
So the government paid for raising mostly the selling rates of the Japanese, Korean, French and other foreign manufacturer.
Well done! :neutral:

We were the first environmentalists. We have kept our R4s going for 20-30 years (so far). Replacing them with new cars would cause far more environmental damage than chugging away with cars that are extremely light weight and use less petrol than the modern equivalents even if you ignore the cost to the environment of making a new car

This is the truth, but unfortunately, the majority of (non-thinking) people are led to believe the opposite...

Last summer there was a similar, short-lived scrappage scheme here ( it lasted roughly two months). Any car owner that scrapped his/her car, would get 500, 1000 or 1500 euros (depending on engine's displacement), plus another 1000 euros discount if he/she bought a new car. The idea was similar, to boost the car market (and only that, as we don't have any car industry...).

Totally agree Malcolm

Taking the scrappage concept a step further, the first party that offers a 'Politicans Scrapage Scheme' gets my vote!

Something like ... The electorate scrapping and replacing their old, unfashionable, out of touch, expense fat, politicians (any party) in return for a payment of £2,000 to local services. Ideally a replacement with less hot air and no broken promises. Oh dear, the Election's getting to me!

We can all visit the 'showroom' tomorrow and see what's on offer in the Leaders' Debate.... On second thoughts I might take Amelie for a spin while the streets are quiet!

:rolleyes:

Well said Malcolm.

I read somewhere that making a new car uses more energy or produces more emissions than is used in the lifetime of running a car. So you are absolutely right - it is more environmentally friendly to keep old cars on the streets. I think we should all get given £2000 for our services to the environment!

Speaking of which, do you still want those two tyres (on non-R4 wheels), Firstandbest? I'll be bringing them to the Kent Run.

See you all there!

Back