Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Screeching Heater Fans

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Ermintrude has always had a trouble with a screeching fan. Turns out the design clearance between the heater fan and the housing is just 1.5mm! So the couple of screws that hold the cover on have a hard time locating the cover.

I'm planning to reduce the fan diameter slightly with a rasp file. Then maybe a bit of petrolium jelly on the housing.

Anyone else managed to fix this banshee wail?

Well what do you know - it was the bearing. I tested it off the car and it was completely quiet. Little side load with the rasp file and it started screeching. I'm fitting a spare (fiddly without taking the dash out).

This small clearance between the fan and housing is vital for the best fan efficiency.
I have never had any problems with motor bearings, but this reminded me that if you remove the heater and do not pay much attention in putting the cables correctly in their position, they touch the fan occasionally and cause a funny ringing sound.

Well what do you know - it was the bearing. I tested it off the car and it was completely quiet. Little side load with the rasp file and it started screeching. I'm fitting a spare (fiddly without taking the dash out).

I'v had the same problem for years with our 505 its ok in summer but starts groaning about this time of the year, it's a dry bush for sure. I've had the blower out twice(a two hour job with cut hands and bruises and a summer job only) to try and replenish the oilite bush with oil, but have only had limited sucess.Idealy the bearing wants removing from the motor to do a proper job as just putting some fresh oil on the bush only works for a short time.If it is a oilite type bush,if i remember right you soak the bush in light hot (70C) oil for 1/2 hour to replenish it.I don't know if this is of any help.

Back