Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Seat wrestling.....

paulandpat

Enthusiast
The boss has been complaining about the amount of 'foam dust' under the front seats for a while now, so she had a rummage around on Ebay and found a new supplier of seat foams. We got the front seats out of the car and set about stripping them down. We found that the bases were in excellent condition, but the backs had disintegrated and had indeed already been repaired by the previous owner, an elderly lady who did very neat sewing!
As the supplier of new foam was in a neighbouring department and I had phoned to verify that they were in stock, I decided that an afternoon out was in order and set off to collect them.
Yesterday was spent wrestling the covers over the new foams and backs of the seats - a couple of kitchen implements, a rolling pin to stop the foam moving downwards, and a flat plastic spatula to help smooth out the sides, were brought into play to ease the job along. It was a bit difficult to work out where the hog rings went to hold it all together in the bottom back part of the seat, so I compromised by using some fairly thin fencing wire to hold it all in place. It took the best part of the day to get them back together, but there wasn't too much swearing involved! Photos attached.
We are also in the process of getting some 'loose covers' made by a place in Italy (again found on Ebay) so hopefully they will be a good fit and will keep the originals in good shape.

104_4664.JPG 104_4665.JPG 104_4666.JPG 104_4673.JPG

Hi What age is your car, if they are original seats. I am in the process of renewing the seat covers on mine having bought new ones, and then looked at how to get the old ones off! Decided to leave it till this year..... So in June I might email you for advice !!!

The car is a 1987 Savane 4TL.
The seats are fixed, there isn't any recline mechanism.

Back