Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Seized Clutch

hottie643

Enthusiast
Dear all,

the wife and I fully intended to give our F6 a post new year run out earlier today, however best laid plans and all that!!!
Since her last run out (the F6!) the clutch appears to have become seized and wondered if any members have any experience of this, if so, is there a quick fix. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Also, upon tidying the garage I have found a brand new silencer that I believe is to fit a R4 car and a master cylinder. I will post photos/part numbers tommorow. If they are of any interest please let me know.

Many Thanks

Hottie 643

Clutch

Depends on what you mean by a seized clutch. Mine had been parked for 5 years when we bought her and the clutch was slipping because it wouldn't release properly. Malcolm correctly advised on the problem and I sprayed copious ammounts of WD40 on the ends of the cross shaft that runs in the gearbox and is the part the arm operates when you press the clutch and has the clutch release bearing on it. I also sprayed some through the aperture at the top of the gearbox carefully spraying backwards as WD40 on the clutch plate would settle the problem for once and for all. I tried 2 peices of rope, one hooked around the clutch arm from below and one from above then with 2long peices of wood I was able to fully operate the arm both ways, one from above with my hand the other with my foot (after first disconnecting the cable from the end of the arm). I did this off and on for eons but it eventually freed off and then using the car freed it off some more. Sadly it is now slipping a little if I push too hard and the gearbox has to come out, not a task to be taken lightly I am afraid.

Do you mean that the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel, so that when you try to start the car it is in gear?
It might be possible to free it off, assuming you've got enough room, by bump starting or tow starting it, then once you have got the engine running apply the brakes very hard to stall it. This sometimes free it off. You could try it with the front wheels off the ground, but I'd be a bit dubious of the possible safety of this. A big field you can drive round without hitting anything is ideal. :)
Tried this with a Bedford CF camper some years ago - but it didn't work and still had to take the gearbox out!

Back