Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Slow Car Club 2007

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Bluebell has spoken about organising a Renault 4 treasure hunt next summer in Bedfordshire. Of course we have the Slow Car Club drag racing event in the summer too. How about combining the two for a weekend of fun in the countryside?

Who would be interested in coming over for a treasure hunt or the drag racing event? (Do post here and say which) and what time of year would suit/not suit?

I've just looked at the Santa Pod calendar for 2007 and RWYB days for this summer seem to be as follows:

Sunday 20th May

Saturdays 9th, 23rd and 30th June

Saturday 7th July

Saturday 18th August

Chris

Treasure Hunt and Slow Car Club Meeting

Mr B and I have taken an executive decision and propose that the 19th/20th May be the weekend of the Slow Car Club Meeting.

We will meet at Clementine's R4 Garage in deepest Bedfordshire and events will kick off on the Saturday at 3pm with the Treasure Hunt. This will be followed by a bonfire and BBQ at the farm. There is unlimited parking and the camping is five star. Bring your own tent. A cooked breakfast will be provided before we set out for an exciting RWYB day at Santa Pod.

Further details and maps will be provided at a later date. Meanwhile be sure to pencil in this date on the calendar and keep it free.

Looking forward to a good turnout with chance for us all to get together for an enjoyable weekend. :D

I will have to seek approval for these executively decided dates from the Slow Car Club committee. Like many clubs we're getting quite beaurocratic, but hopefully Kevin the Koala will allow me to add a last minute motion to the agenda for the next meeting.

Cuthbert the Camel has suggested we won't have his vote before we have compared notes with the Microcar and 2CV people to make sure we don't clash with any of their major events. It would be so cool to see some three wheelers on the strip this year. Of course that would give Frederick the Frog the deciding vote. If you have followed Frederick's musings over the last couple of years you will know his vote could go randomly either way.

Do you think the weather will be OK at the end of May? You know Santa Pod doesn't work when it's wet.

Slow Car Club Meet

It was actually Percy the Penguin that suggested the weekend near the end of May. He says that we usually get a good spell of hot weather then :cool:. He remembers that from when he had to take his finals in Winter Mechanicing and couldn't find a car that wouldn't start.

If you were to suggest that as the date I'm afraid that many 2cvers couldn't come. The French National 2cv meeting is the week ending 19/20th May, and it is usually well attended by those from this country.:eek:

I'm keen to email a few clubs before deciding on a day for the Slow Car Club drag racing. For the last 2 years I've clashed with the Microcar National meeting so the start of September is out. It would be good to fit in with the 2CV clubs as they made last year great fun, and I'm planning to bring my secret weapon next time (850cc R4). Also would like to check with Derek from Renospeed as his run in Kent was about that time and I think he's planning another in 2007.

Last few weeks I've been a bit busy with work, but I'm hoping to talk to some other clubs about dates in a couple of weeks when things die down. The Slow Car Club isn't just about R4s - most cars will be other makes and models, and I'm hoping some of them won't even be cars next year (the double decker was too tall, but a Sherman tank should fit).

The R4 treasure hunt doesn't necessarily need to be fixed with the Slow Car Club dates - that was just an idea.

Slow car club meet

Thank you Tigger 64 and Clementine. Let's see how things shake down. Events over two different weekends would be quite OK, although it would be great to get see the 2CVs at the Treasure Hunt too. A Saturday afternoon in early June would be ideal for the TH as we would have plenty of daylight. Keep you posted. :)

Treasure Hunt

What does anybody think about a Treasure Hunt and BBQ on 16th June? This invitation would be extended to our 2CV friends and all R4 enthusiasts regardless of current vehicle.

It's a while yet but let's have some feedback on possible dates. The Santa Pod weekend has yet to be decided.

Sounds like a good possibility. Wouldn't be possible to hold the Slow Car Club event on the same weekend, but that might be a good thing - makes things less hectic.

We'll have to get in touch with Dereck and Liam to see if any of the members of their clubs want to join in. I can send out a newsletter through the forum once we've fixed dates.

I would love to visit SantaPod where I wont be nearly the slowest running - So far the only things I have beaten either broke down or were 1.6 focus, deisel corsa or an MGB (and that was a close thing!)

So set a date PLEASE - I wanna be there :twisted:

I've been chatting with Ian from 2CVGB. They are all itching to go back to the Pod again too. We'll try and fix a date soon that fits their busy schedule.

Another idea Ian had was a run what you brung sprint (timed lap around a circuit from a standing start) which sounds like a lot of fun.

Skoda would be good fun - you'll probably be the fasest car there.

Hi

Just thought i'd add that the retro car show at Pod is great, and the R4 etc would not look out of place there.

Just a newbie on the site here, but go to pod a bit with other cars.
Just thought if you were struggling for dates, or wanted to go for an all weekender camping etc, with loads of stalls etc, as well as RWYB, this could be an option.

Just gutted that my mum no longer has her 4, as i wanted to take it myself to pod and show her some fun:cool:

The first ever Slow Car Club was on the back of the first Retro Classics show. Really good event, and not too busy on the track. Missed the last couple of Retro classics - I hear they are popular - does that mean they are busy?

Need to decide on a date soon. Probably end up being in September again. I have a contact with the Fiat 500 club now - stopped to help a member who had broken down near the farm this afternoon. Hopefully she can bring some of them along for a Fiat 500 vs Citroen 2CV shootout. :roll:

Back