Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Slow Car Club has a Sponsor!

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
An update on the Slow Car Club Drag Racing meeting at Santa Pod on Sunday 4th September.

We've got a sponsor! :lol:

I've been speaking with James, the guy behind Crap Trumps, and he's very kindly offered to take care of prizes and stickers for the event.

We have 10 confirmed entries so far including a Land Rover, a Transit van, a split screen VW camper and a pre-war Austin 12! I'm looking forward to the event. We need more Renault 4s!

Everyone is welcome. See http://www.slowcarclub.com/ for details. Tell your friends! :D :D

Congratulations! Nice work!

I hope you take some nice pictures, and maybe shot some small movies of the event. The VW camper should be fun to watch on the strip...

I totally missed the slow car club race date!

How did the races at Santa Pod go? Was the judge completely drunk?? Who won, and why?

I hope for full coverage on the slow car club site! :)

It was a wonderful weekend. We had blue skies and it was very hot. Lots of people turned up for the party on Saturday night. One guy brought up an immaculate Aston DB6. The party went on quite late, and a number of people didn't come along to Santa Pod on Sunday - they complained they weren't feeling well.

We arrived late at Santa Pod, and met up with Lucie who had brought Delores the Renault 4. Robert put in the fastest time of the day on his first run, exceeding the magic 60mph at the end of the 1/4 mile. Sadly the effort broke his gearbox mount so had to stop racing.

For the next 2 races I was up against Lucie. In the first race we were head to head all the way up the track, with Lucie pulling half a car lead by the end. I won the second run due to a good start.

The Crap Trumps team were great fun. They brought a number of cars including a Transit van (diesel automatic) that managed a 47 second quater mile. By the end of the day their stickers were attached to at least half of the cars there (maybe 300 cars turned up in total). Some good publicity for them.

The official photographers haven't sent their photos over yet, so a decent update later. Here is a pic of team r4.

team-r4_167.jpg

Last edited:
Slow car racing

What a fabulous day we had at Santa Pod on Sunday. I'm definately a fan of slow car racing now. Didn't they all do well! The Crap Trumps entry won the prize for sheer enthusiasm, while the Renault 4s, in pretty shades of yellow/orange, were just wonderfully tenacious. Please arrange another outing soon.

Welcome to the forum Motoring Maestro. Thanks for the photos (will go up on the Slow Car Club site soon...

Turns out Andrew didn't have a hangover after all. He had a prior engagement. He went off to play with some veteran Renaults:

old-renault-2_906.jpg

old-renault-1_189.jpg

Last edited:
Next time we come down we'll have to pit the R4s against the Kangoo - see here on it's summer holiday in the French Alps.

kangoo01.jpg

Leeds R4 club

:lol: I am delighted that there is another R4 enthusiast in Leeds. Perhaps we could get together to form a splinter group. Are there any more up here in sunny Yorkshire?

I think the Kangoo would be great on the drag strip.

I've put a whole lot of photographs on to the Slow Car Club website.
There is a link to a video of Lucie and myself racing at the bottom of the Renault 4 page.

Slow Car Club Prizes

I loved seeing the new photos of the Slow Car Club at the Santa Pod outing last Sunday. The Crap Trumps van was a worthy winner :D but I'm a bit puzzled about the allocation of the prizes. The Mighty Maestro sat in the car park all day covered in Crap Trump stickers. This surely entitles us to a runner up prize as we had made zero effort, attained zero speed and had the full complement of stickers. Perhaps we were marked down because we'd had a wash within the last year? :cry:

Did you take any photos of the Maestro with the stickers attached? Do send photos and I'll add them to the site. I have a couple of photos but none with stickers.

I've consulted with the judging panel and it seems you have to race to be eligible for an esteemed runner up prize. I'll send a pack of Crap Trumps instead.

Thanks to you and the judges for your reply. You can put me down as a definate for next year's Slow Car Club racing. I am looking forward to receiving the pack of Crap Trumps as Kangookris and I are planning to stage the inaugural North of England Crap Trumps championship. Would you be able to sponsor us?

Back