Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Splutter at 3000 revs

GILLYG

Please help - suggestions needed - I have a R5 monaco - its been stored for 20 years - just putting it back on road - bit awkward to start - but new Start Motor helped - awful splutter around 3000 revs ? Garage not sure how to resolve - anyone had similar ?

As a starting point try some posh 98 octane fuel from a reputable supplier. Check for vacuum hose leaks. Then go for a long run and see if it is better the next day. If not then check all the ignition system. Do anything you can before touching the carburettor.

The carburettors are annoying on those things. The bases warp resulting in a vacuum leak where they connect to the manifold. They can still run OK with a warped base but if the carb is ever removed it will never seal again. Should that be the problem then remove the carb, have the base skimmed flat, buy new gaskets and spacers (there are some improved aftermarket ones around from a webber supplier but I can't find the link so it'll need a google). Bung everything back together then go for a long run to get the carb happy with the new gasket.

I'm guessing it is the 1.7 litre Monaco. If it's the 1.4 litre auto it would be easier as they don't have the carb problem.

Vacuum advance or centrifugal advance could be jerking or going notchy due to corrosion or leaks etc. See if the vacuum advance rod moves freely when you suck hard at the pipe plugging into the carb base, and that the bob-weights are moving when you poke them in the dizzy base. Vacuum advance diaphragms fail and joints leak as well as mechanical sticking. Could mess up the timing at certain speeds if the timing suddenly becomes advanced. Probably I am wrong, but this can be a hidden fault otherwise tricky to figure out.
I have had old 'one lady owner' car that didn't rev well at all because of the centrifugal advance mechanism hitting a wear-ridge in the bottom of the distributor where the old dear had never revved the engine above! Moral: use your engine freely !!

Back