Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

squeaking noise

dutch bloke

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
I have a 1972 R1126 and have recently noticed a squeaking noise, which seems to be coming from the left front of the car. It is related to the speed of the car, i.e. the squeaking noise is quicker when the car is going quicker. The funny thing is that it only appears when I'm freewheeling. As soon as I put my foot on the accelerator, it disappears. Equally, if I depress the clutch it disappears.
I have changed the fan belts because they were due for replacement anyway and I checked all the rubber gaiters and they are all fairly new anyway. Any ideas anyone?
Leon

Could it be that the exhaust pipe is rubbing on the inner wing, where the pipe passes through it?

I have the same issue, sounds a bit like a fan bearing squeaking but its electric and isnt on when the squeak appears. Bit like a bird twittering.

Clutch release bearing would be my guess. Not sure I'd bother replacing it unless the squeak is really annoying.

Could it be that the exhaust pipe is rubbing on the inner wing, where the pipe passes through it?

Hi JJAD,

No, had a look at the exhaust pipe hole, but it is well clear of the edges. What I can't understand is that the noise disappears as soon as you put the accelerator pedal down ever so slightly. When I brake however, the noise carries on. So it only appears when I'm in a gear and foot off the accelerator and off the clutch...
I might have to take the gearbox out soon to have it revised (the synchromesh is gone on two gears) I will replace the clutch at the same time and maybe I will know more then
Thanks for your reply
Leon

Hi Malcolm,
I'm seriously thinking about having the gearbox out to have it revised as the synchromesh has gone on two gears. I will replace the clutch at the same time and maybe will find out then what this extremely annoying noise is. It's funny that it only appears when I'm in gear and foot off the clutch and off the accelerator. As soon as I "feather" the accelerator pedal down just a touch, it completely disappears. Very very annoying !!! People turn their heads when you drive along. I used to think it was because of the car's beauty, now I think because they think a whole swarm of budgies is flying over !!!
Leon

Back