Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Starter Motor Constantly On!

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
Happy New Year everyone,

I'm having some problems with my starter motor.

I have returned home and have managed to get the R4 going again :).

I left it to idle and the engine cut out after 5 minutes or so. When I went to restart it the starter made a "wurring" noise. It wouldn't stop even with the key removed!

I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. If I reconnect the thick black cable from the starter to the +ve terminal the starter buzzes (engine doesn't turn).

I asked Weasel (pictured) and he reckoned the insulation on a wire has melted through causing a short. I thought I'd ask a more reliable source before taking things apart.

The solenoid clicks ok when you turn the key without the thick black cable connected to the starter.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

• A car that's not likely to attent the kent run!.jpg
    A car that's not likely to attent the kent run!.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 197
Hi beagle! have you made sure the starter-gear releases and frees backwards after engaged? usually it gets full of muck,grease and old oil so doesn't release as it should after engine has started.
Beagle you say? looks more like a Saluki or something to me-but then again I don't know anything about dogs either..... -R.

Thanks Reidalpine, I put it into gear a rocked it back and forth. it then started as normal:confused:. I drove it up the drive and it promptly ran out of petrol!

I'm still not sure why the starter ran when when ever the battery was connected. Is this a sign of future problems?

On the internet no one knows you're a dog.

It just sounds like the starter is gunged up and is as Reidar says sticking in the on position.

It will probably need stripping off and cleaning up then should be fine again.

beagle and pepper! def.sounds like it's sticking. You might get away with pouring on lots of degreaser then hose it off with water-repeat a couple of times for best result..Better option than having to remove starter! No real need to put oil or grease on starter-gears as they aren't covering any real distance as such.
Light film of f.x WD40 ok
Think it's a pretty normal occurence-sometimes you will get only a Click when you try turning the key or No sound at all-Best bet then is to put into gear and rock car forw./backwards often this solves it. -R.

Guten abend David! and now if you turn the top/inner bolt the other way round so you have the Nut facing forward it'll be a LOT easier to remove the starter when motor is in next time. I spotwelded the bolt on to the starter so it cant turn when I loosen the nut... -R.

Guten abend David! and now if you turn the top/inner bolt the other way round so you have the Nut facing forward it'll be a LOT easier to remove the starter when motor is in next time. I spotwelded the bolt on to the starter so it cant turn when I loosen the nut... -R.

I heard that it is the 3rd bolt that makes the job so "nice", the one with the nut.
And that the 2 bolts on top are more than enough to hold the starter in place.
So I would go for using only 2 bolts... ;)

It's behaving now so I think I'll leave the big job for another day. I gave it a token spray of WD40 (always a near certain fix).

I took it on another jaunt.... The fan belt snapped! Easy fix though. hardest thing was convicing my local motor factor I own a R4. "They've been dead for years"

Thanks for the pics DavidN. Looks like a very through job :D

Back