Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

startermotor

porsche928

maybe not the right place to ask,don't know who els to ask,,,, a , r 12 startemotor. fits and works in a r 5 1400cc '84 model ? regards cor

I've never tried, although I did once fit a late model Renault 5 starter motor to a R4. Renault were very good at commonising their parts.

Later engines all turned the same way, so I guess if the mounting points are correct and the other bits and pieces look about the same it could be worth a try so long as the starter is cheap.

:clementi:

Clementine said:
I've never tried, although I did once fit a late model Renault 5 starter motor to a R4. Renault were very good at commonising their parts.

Later engines all turned the same way, so I guess if the mounting points are correct and the other bits and pieces look about the same it could be worth a try so long as the starter is cheap.

:clementi:
you are right an r 5 starter motor fits on a r12 and on a r4 i bought a new valeo for r 12 fitted and works thanks cor

Thanks for letting us know. It's useful to find out which Renault parts fit other models - then we can buy new ones on eBay with confidence they'll fit. I guess the 1108cc starter must be common to all models.

hi im new anyone with some advice

hi im new to this forum and i have just got my hands on a renault 5 campus 95 model.
The thing is the starter motor is knackered i heard there pretty cheap to replace ie scrap yards but how hard are they to replace on the car its self

any advice wouold be well appreciated thank you loyal renault 5 owner!

its easy enough. 3 bolts hold it to the bellhousing.

It may or may not have the rear bracket on it. But you will need to remove the heat sheild on it to change.

I agree, just match them up, they're easy to see and get at; it'll either fit or it won't!
Renault "WERE"very good at commonising their parts; but not so much with later cars when you couldn't interchange parts from the same model! They've gone down the "got to have a new part fitted by us" route! and far too technical![/b]

ta!

After reading and consulting my new haynes manual i think that the starter motor maybe ok and that it will need cleaning up the firing mechanisim is covered in black and green crap its only done 40,000 miles so it shouldnt have totally be knackered by now.

Im guessing it could be the salanoid but i am not sure on which solvent to clean it with as instructed in the tech tips thanks clementine :)

Also when replacing it is it straight back on in same place no messing about with anything cos i really need to get it sorted the missues is all why you bought a car which wont even start she will love me if i can fix it myself i will look like a car god heheh.

thanks for the advice guys

Back