Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Starting....

laxeian

Enthusiast
Over the past week or so I have been pulling the choke out when I turn van off and leave for next time, ( weathers damp/cold but not freezing), when starting the next day its been instant on the button ( leaving choke off and just using to start it starts well but after a good turn), seems to start and run better initially, obviously choke in once warmed. Has anyone else tried this or noticed? ( or am I looking too hard for things to make me happy:whistle:)

Sound logical, as I suppose you're letting a richer mixture into the carburettor as you switch off, which is still there when you come to start the car again. Just a thought.....

Been pulling the choke out as I get out of car ( after turned off), was thinking maybe it stops (or keeps ) the petrol thats in the carb that would evaporate due to manifold/engine heat when just left to cool from hot. It does definitely make the initial next day start quicker in relation to amount of turns on starter.

Who cares if it starts first, second or third turn, as long as it starts? ;)

True Angel, but instant starting when its your sole transport living in a remote area is reassuring before you set off anywhere, reading other threads people have even fitted electric priming pumps or hand pumps to ensure theres fuel in the carb to reduce starting cranks and smooth running from start up, pulling the choke out as getting out of the van instead of pulling it out when getting in works for me, its a pretty non-intrusive and low cost try...

I remember this dodge being discussed in Car Mechanics magazines of the late '50s and '60s when cars were prone to lots of sluggish churning and reluctant starting, plus we used to have proper winter weather for weeks on end. Some people blip the throttle before shutting off, possibly to achieve a similar effect or just to sound sporty.

Naturally with modern fuel injection systems there's no need.

I wonder what the fuel does to the oil film in the bores...

Also, I used to know a former Lancaster and Wellington bomber pilot from the second world war - he's long since passed of course - but he said they used to raise the engine revs before switching off to clear the excess fuel accumulated as they taxied back to the dispersal. He always did the same with his MGB he had too.

So we have a slight conflict...

I find that when the car has been standing for a few hours, that it takes a couple of turns, on both our R4's, which I have always put down to the carb having to be primed by the pump. Same is true on my 66 MGB. That happens warm or cold. When warm the heat of the manifold dries out the carb, so more turns required to get petrol from the tank at the back of the car, to the front of the car. I have fitted an electric pump and I can hear it clicking as it primes the line. When done it stops. This has also happened when its cold, as the carb area is already without petrol. Same can happen on the 4. Its one of the pleasures of a carb, over a computer controlled sealed injection system on modern cars. In an old car you are persuading a pile of metal to do what you want. In a new cars its a tardis. You enter it, dial where you want to go, wait the appropriate amount of time, then open the door and get out and you are there. Little involvement in the process above avoiding other vehicles.

Some modern (or not so modern - almost 20 years old) fuel injected cars operate the fuel pump when driver's door is being opened. This way driver (operator?) does not have to wait for the three seconds necessary for the fuel pump to build up pressure in the injector rail.

Back