Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

steerin rack on espace

billy the taxi man

Hi, could some one out there tell me how difficult it is to replace a steering rack on a renault espace, imines leeking and I've just Ive been told by a garage it's an 8 hour job and not easy, but I know what garages aras like for over charging. Also are there many variations on each model? the reason for this question is. I bought a second hand one from a dealer off an espace the same year and model as mine but the length of each end differ. confusing I know, but best described as the rack has middle thick pole (rod) then thin one each end. On the one on my car the left side of the thin bit is 4 inches but the right is 8 inches. on the replacement one it's 2 inches on the left and about 10 inches on the right these are rough estemates. but you get the idea.

I wouldn't panic immediately about that. How much is sticking out at each end of the housing depends wether the steering wheel was centered or not at the time it was removed from the donor car. If it was the same model and year it should be alright. As for how difficult it would be to install the new bit... I'm not terribly familiar with the Espace, but considering it is about the same technology as is found in the Renault 9 I'd think you would have to lift the engine a bit to get better access. The latest Renault cars have their steering rack as part of the front suspension unit which is simply bolted to the car and drops out for maintenance. My guess is you have the more labour intensive system.

Back