Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steering Rack for R4 LHD wanted

Jonathon - one can assume then that it comes from a circa 1970's R4 which is different to the later ones. Does the car use R4 hubs as well? What is the matter with the rack as they don't often go wrong?

Hi Steve,
De-Tomaso originally graced the car with an unwieldy 4.6 turns lock-to-lock steering.The R4 is a higher geared rack that fits,so i either need a new one or good 2nd hand (LHD) Any ideas ?
Thanks very much.
Jonathan

Jonathon, I'm getting a bit confused here. Do I take it that the current rack on your is not a R4 one, but you want a R4 rack because it's better spec than the one you've got??
Is fitting a R4 rack to Manugusta's a common modification? as I looked on a De Tomaso website yesterday and saw a R4 rack fitted to a Mangusta. The rack I saw was the earlier type.

In that case if all R4 racks attach to the chassis in the same way then maybe a later rack will fit. Malcolm may have the answer to this one.

Steve

Steve,
thank you to Malcolm and yourself for helping a non R4 owner !
i take it that there are just two racks for the R4.would you have dimensions or
drawings of them?
it also would be helpful if you could let me know exactly where you saw the R4 rack on a Mangusta site.
is the later rack better than the early one?
Jonathan

Steve and Malcolm,
the guys in the US have come back to me with reference no's Renault S9819470 stock ref and Ricardo 18991 Racing application FWIW would these point to a particular rack ?
thanks again
Jonathan

Jonathon - here is the link
http://www.mangustainternational.com/technical_detail.php?id=54

I don't have any dimensions for them and there is no reason why the early rack should be any better or worse than the later one. Maybe someone else may have the answer. The other difficulty is that you are after a LHD rack so they are not too plentiful in the UK. It may be worth a trip to a French scrapyard to get one of each and fit the most suitable one.

Sorry, can't answer your second question on part numbers.

Steering Rack for Renault 4

If you are still looking for a Renault 4 steering rack I have one new . I will be away until next Sunday,so leave me an email - I will be away again on Monday until the 25th. robertfenn@aol.com
thank you

Back