Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

stub axle

Jahu

Enthusiast
Should there be washer between the inner side of the stub axle and the driveshaft. When I removed both driveshafts one had a washer and the other did not.

I'm not aware of ever seeing a spacing washer. Just by chance, was the washer fitted to the driveshaft that fouled the gearbox?

Yes your correct it was on the same shaft that fouled the gearbox. The washer in question is some kind of copper alloy about a mil thick and slightly dished.

There's normally a really thin shaped brass washer, but that can't be more than 1/2mm thick.

Checked again and it is a full mm thick. Do you think Renault would sell these seperately or has anyone got a spare couple I could buy.

You could try Renault. I do know that new shafts come with these shims but I have never had the need to buy spare ones. Have you sorted the drive shaft fouling problem out yet?

I did manage to get the nicked differential cap off but what a struggle. the other cap would not move at all. I presume that there are only two reasons that the driveshaft would interfere with the cap. One that the cap is not screwed in far enough and the other that somehow the inner bearing is wrong, letting the driveshaft insert itself to far into the housing. Obviously the car has been worked on before so I am not sure just what has been done to it.

Do you have a Haynes Manual?? Very useful for some things and will explain about the 'diff caps' which are, in fact, outer bearing retainers. They also serve to retain the oil seal and the 'o' ring to stop oil leaking past the threads. Most importantly they are used to adjust the end float on the bearings that in turn allows the correct measurement between the crown wheel and pinion. It's highly unlikely that anybody would have replaced a diff bearing because they hardly ever wear out, and if one did only the correct replacement would fit. There is no need to remove these 'diff caps' unless you need to adjust the end float or need to cure an oil leak. I do hope that you remember how many turns it took to remove it. Failing that, clean it up and screw it back by hand until it goes fully home and then back it off one notch. This should be ok. You will probably need to replace the oil seal and sealing ring. Before going any further I suggest that you look into why that drive shaft is fouling the box by getting a pair of correct drive shafts for your model just to eliminate the other pair.
If you don't have a history of what has been touched on the car in the past, it is best to assume that the previous owners didn't know what they were doing.

These copper washers are called "rondelles anti-crissement" in the official manuals. Anyone with better French than mine here to translate it?
They must be used for protection to the inner bearing, certainly not as a shim for adjusting something. I have fitted many driveshafts without this washer, with no problem at all.

According to Babel Fish it translates to:
'discs anti-squealing'
So does this mean anti squeal washers (what is there to squeal?) - I'm sure someone will have the answer!

Steve's translation was something I also wanted to learn...because no english manual referred to it... :-).
Now how can something squeal there, and how can this washer prevent it is beyond me...let's remove these washers from our R4s and set a prize for the first one to get a squeal from there :-D

I've had a brainwave. I think this is a type of crush washer that prevents any moisture from getting inside the bearings and to stop the splines rusting. When the shaft is fitted and the hub nut is tightened the washer is crushed thereore sealing that vulnerable cavity. So, when people say that they have fitted the shafts without the washer, that's fine because it won't affect the performance but it may just allow moisture or dirt in.

Does this make any sense??

Well yes it makes! Though I doubt about moisture (better kept away with a rubber seal like all "ordinary" cars).
If Renault simply called it a "sealing washer" or something similar, we wouldn't have to think so hard...

Just for the record, Renault describing the function of these washer on MR 175, say : "...afin d' eviter les crissements au demarrage".

Back