Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Stuff

Andy Sherlock

Enthusiast
Just to say Hi and thanks for a cracking web site, most useful.
Hope you don't mind me posting some pictures in your gallery.

Welcome to the forum. That's a very good looking GTL over in the gallery. I noticed it on the Renospeed owners gallery where it says 37,000 miles and all original panels. Looks like a good find.

Thanks for that, it's our second R4, the first one (1982 R4 GTL) expired after 10 or so years of ownership. I stripped it down to component parts including splitting body from floor to find that the car was 70% rust. I was going to restore it, and had started.
At the same time I placed adverts on the net that I wanted another R4. After months of no joy and looking at wrecks, a chap from Harrogate called me to tell me he had an R4, 1986, one owner, 34,000 miles, all original and rust free, etc. Half expecting another wreck I jumped on my motorbike imeadeately and arrived at Harrogate within two hours. I knew I was having the car before I had even got to his front door. My wife told me I was.
The car was probably one of the best around, and still is. I have done a few things to it, Rust proof, alloy wheels, lead replacement unit and stuff but essentially the car is as I found it.
We don't use the car when the roads have been salted in winter, even though it has been rustproofed, that keeps it in good condition. It's done almost 40,000 miles now and is run as an occasional use second car. We have owned it for about four or five years now and it is always kept under cover at night.
As a result, the R4 I stripped became a doner car and all serviceable parts I have now stored in my Garage. The good thing about stripping the first car was that I learned so much, which can be applied to the car we are now running.
ROC have been very helpful with technical stuff and Derek Flavell of Renospeed has been very helpful too.
I happened on your website while surfing the net for R4 stuff and found it to be just my thing. Someone there who has been and done the same as me, stripping and rebuilding the things and using them.
Anyways, I hope we can be of interest and help to each other if the need arises and I'll keep checking the site out for updates and new stuff. I'll post up any techincal hints and tips I may happen upon or anything else that may be intersting and relavent to the R4.
Thanks again and best regards.
[/u]

Back